dry yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGBrewer

Reaction score
I have safale us-56 the directions on the package says sprinkle into wort. Should I rehydrate anyway? Also should i add some yeast energizer?

Take your pick (straight from the Fermentis site):

Rehydrate using either sterile water or wort at a ratio of 10 times the weight of yeast to be used. Mix gently to form a cream and allow to stand for 15-30 minutes. Then mix vigorously and stand for a further 30 minutes prior to pitching into the wort. The temperature of re-hydration is important (27C ± 3C for Safbrew and Safale, 23C ± 3C for Saflager).

An alternative method is to sprinkle dry yeast direct into the wort and allow to stand for 30 minutes before mixing to distribute and aerate the wort.

Thanks for the advice, I still had an old white labs bottle sitting on the counter, so i said to myself, that would be perfect to rehydrate the dry yeast. Dont do this, it sucks digging the yeast out, for whatever reason i thought that it would be liquid not a thick paste. Mistake #457 and counting

Ive sprinkled and also rehydrated. Both took the same time to start fermenting.

.....or sprinkle
Yeah sprinkle
Raining. Must go out and rack into primary call the brew day finished
G'night

Back