1st Annual Michigan Predators Autumn Brew Day Saturday, 9-26-09

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Homercidal, it's no problem if you want to set up a camper.

Cool. He's talking about replacing the furnace in his pop-up with a ventless heater. I'm a bit concerned about the amount of O2 that might get used up during the night... I am not that familiar with these things, but a small one in a relatively airy pop-up might be ok??

He thinks the furnace is a little bit noisy at night (I agree, but it never kept me from sleeping when I had one).

At any rate, will there be any A/C to plug into? He also has heated mattress pads...

I'll bring some things that don't have to be refridgerated. I'll be leaving early Friday morning, and won't be bringing a big cooler.

This is going to be fun! I'm looking forward to meeting you all!

WHAT??!! I hope this means that you are putting IPA's into the frig when you get here. :p

Cool. He's talking about replacing the furnace in his pop-up with a ventless heater. I'm a bit concerned about the amount of O2 that might get used up during the night... I am not that familiar with these things, but a small one in a relatively airy pop-up might be ok??

He thinks the furnace is a little bit noisy at night (I agree, but it never kept me from sleeping when I had one).

At any rate, will there be any A/C to plug into? He also has heated mattress pads...

I can give you 120VAC, but do you really think you need air conditioning??

Really I can't imagine needing more than a small space heater (which I have) for a pop up. I would think a furnace would be overkill this early, but then again the way this years been, we could have snow... :p

I'm keeping the other bedroom open for my Kid, although I don't know for sure he's coming.

IMPORTANT NOTICE!

I'm gonna make the request that if you are coming, bring something that goes with beer.

Also, there will be no corn-holing of the host.

Thank You, that is all.

What does that mean? Does pie go with beer?

Why no cornholing? I tried for the first time a few weeks ago at church and it was very fun! Ok, whatever...

I can give you 120VAC, but do you really think you need air conditioning??

Really I can't imagine needing more than a small space heater (which I have) for a pop up. I would think a furnace would be overkill this early, but then again the way this years been, we could have snow... :p

I'm keeping the other bedroom open for my Kid, although I don't know for sure he's coming.

Yeah, I'm not counting anything out at this time, but if we have 120VAC and can use the heated mattresses, we probably won't have to even worry about the heater no matter what. I don't care either way, personally. I've been comfortable in a pop up when my breath was freezing on the canvas. (but the heated mattress pads are a very nice luxury, I admit).

Why no cornholing? I tried for the first time a few weeks ago at church and it was very fun! Ok, whatever...

Hear me now, and understand me later.

NO means NO!

NO cornholing, NO touching, NO ANY of that ****!

I see, your code words are plug-into and A/C!

You got some nerve. I invite you over, feed you and share my beer, and then you think you can cornhole me.

YOU SICK PHUCK!

ABSOLUTELY NO!

Hear me now, and understand me later.

NO means NO!

NO cornholing, NO touching, NO ANY of that ****!

I see, your code words are plug-into and A/C!

You got some nerve. I invite you over, feed you and share my beer, and then you think you can cornhole me.

YOU SICK PHUCK!

ABSOLUTELY NO!

Hey, calm down! If you don't want to, that's fine.

I just figured, if you are going to get your bag out, might as well toss it a few times, that's all. If you don't like it, no problem.

But it didn't look fun to me either, until I tried it. It's actually harder than it looks!

Hey, calm down! If you don't want to, that's fine.

I just figured, if you are going to get your bag out, might as well toss it a few times, that's all. If you don't like it, no problem.

But it didn't look fun to me either, until I tried it. It's actually harder than it looks!

>facepalm<

This is the BEST thread ever!

Homercidal I feel like I must help you on this, I hope this just all in fun :)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cornhole

It IS fun! Even my daughters enjoyed it! The wife didn't though. She is not real big for trying new things.

I first saw it while camping not that long ago, and had no idea so many people were doing it. Now every time we go camping, it's everywhere. People are doing until well past dark! Frankly, I can't see it being as much fun in the dark, but some people will just grab a flashlight keep at it.

I'm a bit busy at work, so I'll check that link later. Thanks! :mug:

It IS fun! Even my daughters enjoyed it! The wife didn't though. She is not real big for trying new things.

I first saw it while camping not that long ago, and had no idea so many people were doing it. Now every time we go camping, it's everywhere. People are doing until well past dark! Frankly, I can't see it being as much fun in the dark, but some people will just grab a flashlight keep at it.

I'm a bit busy at work, so I'll check that link later. Thanks! :mug:

>facepalm<

I have two; you can have one, John.

Ya see Homer, it's like this:

Z, who you cannot possibly comprehend until you meet her, likes to trash talk me, non-stop. She taunts me and says that those guys in chat and in the forums just want to come and butt**** me, and refers to you guys as 'online predators'. So Erik, my good friend, decided to start calling our Brewday get-togethers the 'MI Predators', to pile on the **** that Z started.

Then lehr started getting uppity and wanted to bring a numbers ticket tape to the brewday. Then YOU wanted to cornhole, and albeit too late, I recognized that the concept was not being comprehended.

That is where my other friend, jspence1, who is AGAIN unable to attend, tried in vain to enlighten you, and this whole thing has gone rather icky ever since.

Should you still want to come and drink beers and/or brew with our sick little group of Active Michigan Brewers, you can taste and take some of the rauchbier kit that you sent me, and this can all be forgotten once we tear into the IPA's and such.

But dude, get a new church.:D

i talked to cuinrearview tonite and it's looking like he won't be able to make it it due to work issues. xiang, he has however requested a favor of a bottle of your award winning ipa for himself if possible:D

i talked to cuinrearview tonite and it's looking like he won't be able to make it it due to work issues. xiang, he has however requested a favor of a bottle of your award winning ipa for himself if possible:D

Sadly, I am out of S&A IPA. I just brewed 10gal of it yesterday. As a consolation, I will be sure to bring him a bottle of MMv2 APA and Nemesis IIPA.

Sadly, I am out of S&A IPA. I just brewed 10gal of it yesterday. As a consolation, I will be sure to bring him a bottle of MMv2 APA and Nemesis IIPA.

I'd like to request consideration of one of each of those, too, please.:)

Henry,
Thanks for the invite at the meeting Thursday 9/17... I plan on attending.
Is it OK to bring my extract or should I just come and observe the masters of AG ?
And Pat ... I will take those bottles, forgot after the Cass River/Scabs outing.

okay i'm gonna do a lager brew on sat.. do i stck with an all barley pilsener or go with the pre-prohibition style cereal infused mash?

either way it'll work for me

also choices for growlers on sat(i can carry three in my cooler)
1. my fizzy yellow beer(this is definitely coming not sure about sharing it though:D)
2. red ale
3. crystal pale ale
4. belgian strong ale
5. lemon blonde

Farmington happens to be right next to Northville. I'm pretty sure it's still considered Metro Detroit.

My wife and I are bringing our Bacon Wrapped Cream Cheese and Strawberry Jam Stuffed Jalepeno's (not just a mouth full to say). We will be brewing a partial/extract batch of a Two Hearted Clone.

Not too sure about the cornholing thing but if you guys say its fun then I'll try it once. Just because HH doesn't want to be cornholed doesn't mean somebody else won't. :eek:

Alright, if you are wanting to attend and haven't received any directions let me know your zip and I'll link you to mapquest.

Oh, and as a lecher, I am asking those SWMBO's to wear something provocative and low cut. Thanks.

Henry,
Thanks for the invite at the meeting Thursday 9/17... I plan on attending.
Is it OK to bring my extract or should I just come and observe the masters of AG ?
And Pat ... I will take those bottles, forgot after the Cass River/Scabs outing.

OOOOH, I have a GREAT idea! I can't brew ( too far to haul on my ****) but maybe we could be brewing partners, so I can brew with you? Would that be ok? I can bring some odds and ends if you need them (pot and burner, or whatever) so please let me know!

1. my fizzy yellow beer(this is definitely coming not sure about sharing it though:D)
2. red ale
3. crystal pale ale
4. belgian strong ale
5. lemon blonde

Erik- I'd choice to try your FYB if you have enough- to see if it's like mine. Otherwise, I'd LOVE to try the crystal pale ale!

Alright, if you are wanting to attend and haven't received any directions let me know your zip and I'll link you to mapquest.

Oh, and as a lecher, I am asking those SWMBO's to wear something provocative and low cut. Thanks.

You linked me to mapquest, but could you also PM me your address, so I can be doubly sure? Sometimes I get some weird stuff from mapquest links.

Since I am NOT any of your SWMBOs, I'll be wearing my traditional dress of a burqa. I may get wild and show my ankles, though.

I'll be checking the weather, because I'm not sure what kind of weather we'll get. I'll leave here Friday AM around 8 AM central time, and stay the first night whenever I get tired. I'll see you around 10 AM (eastern) at your house.

For food, I'm bringing some Yooper food that can do ok out of the fridge for a couple of days. I got pickled pike, pickled beets, and beer. I'll also grab some of my cheese. Please fart downwind. Thanks!

I have two; you can have one, John.

Ya see Homer, it's like this:

Z, who you cannot possibly comprehend until you meet her, likes to trash talk me, non-stop. She taunts me and says that those guys in chat and in the forums just want to come and butt**** me, and refers to you guys as 'online predators'. So Erik, my good friend, decided to start calling our Brewday get-togethers the 'MI Predators', to pile on the **** that Z started.

Then lehr started getting uppity and wanted to bring a numbers ticket tape to the brewday. Then YOU wanted to cornhole, and albeit too late, I recognized that the concept was not being comprehended.

That is where my other friend, jspence1, who is AGAIN unable to attend, tried in vain to enlighten you, and this whole thing has gone rather icky ever since.

Should you still want to come and drink beers and/or brew with our sick little group of Active Michigan Brewers, you can taste and take some of the rauchbier kit that you sent me, and this can all be forgotten once we tear into the IPA's and such.

But dude, get a new church.:D

I was just funnin with you guys. I've known what "cornholing" really was since I was in the Boy Scouts.

okay i'm gonna do a lager brew on sat.. do i stck with an all barley pilsener or go with the pre-prohibition style cereal infused mash?

2. red ale
3. crystal pale ale
4. belgian strong ale
5. lemon blonde

I wish I had more beer to give away. I'm sort of low right now. I'd feel bad about asking for homebrew from all you guys (but I still would). I'm really looking forward to tasting as much as possible. Well, not today. I'm still recovering from my friend's birthday party last weekend. Not good... :drunk:

Anyway, I'm really excited to hang out and brew with you guys and learn some new stuff. I have a Belgian Wit that might be ready to drink by then, just got to keg and carb and taste. And I have an IPA that is "ok", although a harshness was noted by several people.

I really wouldn't mind pairing up with someone to help me brew. With so many people it's going to be hard to follow what everyone's doing. I would not mind having someone there who would like to help and can question my methods and suggest alternatives.

Yooper, I'm looking forward to seeing your ankles! :cross:

EDIT: I forgot to list my beer preference!

Crystal Pale
FYB
BGS

Ok, because of kids' busy schedules, and an unexpected illness, I did not get to brew my Belgian Pale like I wanted, so I think that is going to be my brew of choice this time. I need to get a yeast cake ready for the BGSA coming up. I have a large starter made up in the fridge. I only need to remember to order the couple of specialty grains that I don't have on hand.

Now to decide what to bring for food. Tater salad? Green Bean Casserole? Bacon-Wrapped Barbeque Shrimp? (Ok, not a side dish, but pretty tasty.. I could maybe make enough to let everyone have a few).

2. red ale
3. crystal pale ale
4. belgian strong ale
5. lemon blonde

I was thinking about bring a 3 gallon keg of my IPA. Would that work?

Hecks YEAH! I have a few growlers on hand! :cross:

I was thinking about bring a 3 gallon keg of my IPA. Would that work?

I'll try to get my current beers out of the kegs and into bottles so I can free up my Sanyo, so if someone wants to bring another keg, just ask me.

I just gotta get rid of all these tomatoes that are ripe right now. :(

I'll try to get my current beers out of the kegs and into bottles so I can free up my Sanyo, so if someone wants to bring another keg, just ask me.

I just gotta get rid of all these tomatoes that are ripe right now. :(

I was going to just bring my rolling cooler, some ice, a co2 charger, and a picnic tap, so I can keep it in the cooler. No need to move around stuff in your kegerator on my account.

holy hell, this thread got big fast.

I will be there, my buddy Mike as of now is going too. My plan is to brew 5 gallons of our club barleywine so I can get 5 out of the oak barrel in a few months.

Need to get some beer kegged up and speed carb it this week to bring down and figure out what to bring for food.

Z is hassling me to cop out on the grilled cat and instead aim for pulled cat sandwiches. I'm still adamant about the chili and home tortilla chips, but spiciness is being compromised by the mixed crowd's tolerance, so I'll put out the siriacha sauce (Rooster sauce), habanero Tabasco and chopped jalapenos for those that are disappointed with the chili's lack of 'flair'. :(

Z is hassling me to cop out on the grilled cat and instead aim for pulled cat sandwiches. I'm still adamant about the chili and home tortilla chips, but spiciness is being compromised by the mixed crowd's tolerance, so I'll put out the siriacha sauce (Rooster sauce), habanero Tabasco and chopped jalapenos for those that are disappointed with the chili's lack of 'flair'. :(

Did you just say flair?

RIC_FLAIR_THE_ULTIMATE_COLLECTION.jpg

Sounds great! If you don't mind, I will humbly request that you all stand down wind of me after you eat chili and drink all that beer. As a woman, I do not make stinkies, so I expect you to only stink out each other.

It's going to be such fun to finally meet you guys! I'm so looking forward to it.

Let me know what I can bring. My car is fairly small, but I have plenty of room in the back seat or trunk to bring odds and ends that might be needed. I'm loading up my IPOD with 50 brewcasts to keep me entertained during the drive.

I think I'd like to stop at a good beer store on the way down- I'll be driving through Grayling, Clare, Mt Pleasant, and East Lansing. Can anybody recommend a good place to pick up some Michigan craft beers? (We don't get them here- I know that according to my address I live in Michigan, but the distributors don't agree).

Sounds great! If you don't mind, I will humbly request that you all stand down wind of me after you eat chili and drink all that beer. As a woman, I do not make stinkies, so I expect you to only stink out each other.

It's going to be such fun to finally meet you guys! I'm so looking forward to it.

Let me know what I can bring. My car is fairly small, but I have plenty of room in the back seat or trunk to bring odds and ends that might be needed. I'm loading up my IPOD with 50 brewcasts to keep me entertained during the drive.

I think I'd like to stop at a good beer store on the way down- I'll be driving through Grayling, Clare, Mt Pleasant, and East Lansing. Can anybody recommend a good place to pick up some Michigan craft beers? (We don't get them here- I know that according to my address I live in Michigan, but the distributors don't agree).

You're married, so no can do on the farts. We men reserve that sort of consideration for dating only. Once you're married, your stuck with it. But then I make stinkies either, so no worries...

As far as beer goes, If you are going through Mt. Pleasant, there is a place called Mountain Town station, which is a working railway station/restaurant/brewpub. They have very good food there, and the beer is, IMO, average for craft beer. They also have a new location, which is just a bar/brewery near Meijers Same beer, just more production for bottling and distribution. Although the beer, is just OK IMO, you might get a tour of the facitilities if you are lucky. I spoke with Jeff and Corina, bartenders.

Lansing has Michigan Brewing Company, actually in Webberville, nearby. I've been there on occasion and have enjoyed many of their beers. They make some nasty lighter stuff, mostly on contract, but their craft ales and stuff are very good. I know you are not a fan of Belgian beer of wheat, but they make Celis beers, and their Wit is my favorite. They also carry Homebrew supplies in the Things Beer store inside.

Nothing in Clare that I am aware of.

There is a place in Cadillac that is called a brewpub in google, but I called and they get their beer from a brewery in KZoo. He didn't know which one. The place wasn't technically open when I called. Probably a warehouse guy.

Grayling has the Big Buck brewery, and I haven't been there in a long time. The beer was not that great when I tried it years ago, but then my palate has probably evolved since then, and possibly their beer is different now too.

If you can't hit some of the Kzoo and GR breweries, I'd recommend stopping at a store and buying a few of their beers. Founders, Arcadia (Battle Creek), New Holland (Holland), all have great beer. And of course Bells has my favorite IPA. Founders should be releasing their Harvest Wet Hop Ale. OMG...

speaking of founders brewery they now have a new stout,,kentucky breakfast stout,,this is basically their breakfast stout aged in old JD barrels.

as far as finding beer stores yooper most any store will carry bells, or arcadia, dark horse etc. just stop in and ask i'd think.
dangnabbit i forgot to go to arcadia on monday and work the bottling line..they give out free samples when you do this and also send you home with a case or 2 of free beer (whatever was bottled that day basically).

There is a place in Cadillac that is called a brewpub in google, but I called and they get their beer from a brewery in KZoo. He didn't know which one. The place wasn't technically open when I called. Probably a warehouse guy.

That place is called Bear Claw. Their beer is made by Bells it's called Bear Claw Ale and IMO it sucks. The wife and I stopped there two weeks ago for lunch as we were headed to Tawas. The food was OK but the one beer that was "their beer" was not good.

If you get near GR there are a lot of places. Hop Cat is a must go to place. Rated 3rd best beer bar in the world. 47 craft beers on tap + one hand pull and 150+ bottles.
If you get to GR let me know the wife and I would be happy to take you out some place.

Latest posts

Back