What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude said:
Man...I was hoping to get to the Stone Vertical Epic 06 tonight, but I'm spinning right now. I might just pour a good nighter 12 ouncer.....save the VE 06 bomber for another night.....

The Lindemann's Cassis is SO awesome.
I've got 2 of the VE in the fridge, one for soon and another for way later, i.e. at least a year. I've also got a 22 of the Stone 10th Aniv. in the fridge as well. Haven't tried it yet, but I'll report soon.

And all of the Lindemann's stuff is great.

Had a couple Yuenglings Black and Tans after finishing my gutters, and now I am having some homebrew Angry Simon's Coffee Cream Stout. The first stout that I did that was worth drinking, though I need to get more espresso in the next batch. I need to empty a bunch of flippers as I have a batch ready almost ready to bottle, and I am planning on getting at least 3 batches done in October.

gaelone said:
SIpping on a Wolver's organic Oatmeal Stout right now. Love the coffee flavors of this VT brew. This has followed several homebrews and DFH's Pangea. Needless to say...:drunk:

I had that Wolaver's last fall for the first (and only) time. It tasted like sesame seed oil to me and I couldn't drink it. SWMBO had the same reaction.

Baron von BeeGee had some and didn't taste the sesame.

-walker

gaelone said:
I love the flavor of this...perhaps you had a bad batch or it was mishandled in transport?

Possibly. My sister-in-law drank a bottle from the same 6-er and loved it. (For reference, she also told me Stella Artois was one of the best beers in the world.)

Unfermented wort from my Picket Fence Porter that I just brewed. Very sweet, obviously, but plenty of chocolate flavor coming through. The smoke should just be in there once the sugars are fermented. Great so far...

All three of my beers so far have tasted pretty unpleasant immediately after brewing. They are all too bitter, for one thing. Strange aftertastes and metallic twangs and curious sharpness. Unbalanced.

The first one I brewed is now starting to taste pretty good. I'm still a week away from bottling it. My other two brews aren't old enough yet for me to detect any improvement in flavor. It's only been 1 week for my second brew which is still in primary. I haven't tasted it again since the night I boiled it. It's just been a few hours for my third brew (the Kolsch recipe you gave me Brewsmith). I tasted it after taking a hydrometer reading, and it was quite bitter.

Walker-san said:
(For reference, she also told me Stella Artois was one of the best beers in the world.)

what is the story with Stella Artois??? I was in France a year ago, and so i tried it first there. i was definitely not impressed, although none of the other french beers were worth mentioning either.
anyway, suddenly, i see billboards and its popping up in EVERY bar and restaurant I've been to in the last few months. seems very much the 'popular beer of the moment' at least in so cal. :confused:

About a week ago I stopped by my local place to pick up micros and found this oddity:

The Brewers of Lagunitas
Freak Out
Ale

2006 A.D.
The 40th Anniversary of the Landmark Album's Release

It's a special release comemerating the 40th anniversary of the Frank Zappa album for those of you who, like me, are a little too young to remember. The label on the bottle is the cover of the album. It doesn't say anything on the label about the beer other than it's 7.3% abv. It's a nice golden honey color with a nice hop aroma and flavor. It's an IPA of some variety. Nice and hoppy, with a little sweetness on the back end, but the finish is still bittering hops. I don't have a bottle of the regular Lagunitas IPA to compare. Very good though. Get it if you can find it.

Brewsmith said:
About a week ago I stopped by my local place to pick up micros and found this oddity:

The Brewers of Lagunitas
Freak Out
Ale

2006 A.D.
The 40th Anniversary of the Landmark Album's Release

It's a special release comemerating the 40th anniversary of the Frank Zappa album for those of you who, like me, are a little too young to remember. The label on the bottle is the cover of the album. It doesn't say anything on the label about the beer other than it's 7.3% abv. It's a nice golden honey color with a nice hop aroma and flavor. It's an IPA of some variety. Nice and hoppy, with a little sweetness on the back end, but the finish is still bittering hops. I don't have a bottle of the regular Lagunitas IPA to compare. Very good though. Get it if you can find it.

Interesting!

However, I've absolutely hated everythign I've ever had from Lagunitas. All of the stuff tastes like iced tea, just nasty.

I'm well on my way.

I broke into the growler of Duclaw Venom that I picked up when we were in Baltimore. I'm in beervana right now. Now that I've busted this puppy open, I've got to finish tonight. Could get ugly. :D

Right now I'm also getting ready to start grilling up some hop smoked chicken. It's an experiment, We'll see how it goes.

Dude said:
Interesting!

However, I've absolutely hated everythign I've ever had from Lagunitas. All of the stuff tastes like iced tea, just nasty.
I think it's just too far in transit to get to you fresh. I think they make excellent beers. When will distributers and stores learn how to properly transport and store good beer?

Nothing yet, though I have an Angry Simon ready for me while I do my homework tonight. Possibly 2. Just took a sniff of my IPA in the secondary....wow! the Cascade is really doing its job!

Brewsmith said:
I think it's just too far in transit to get to you fresh. I think they make excellent beers. When will distributers and stores learn how to properly transport and store good beer?

Don't know, but somethign was certainly wrong.

Man....life is good. Drinking great beer, got a nice fire going in the fire pit, and soon I'll be eating. Ahhhhh.............

I'm about to crack open either a Sam Adams Octoberfest or one of my 65-65-65-6.5's. Time to undo all the good I did at the gym!

Walker-san said:
Indeed. I went back to work yesterday and everything. (Hence my drop in posts/day the last two days.)

-walker

Since when does work interfere with posting endlessless on homebrewtalk? I have seven monitors on my desk for a reason; one of them gets to be something mindless to keep myself fresh.

I'm working on my last pint of a half gallon growler. I'm terribly bloated but damn this stuff is good. Buzzing like a bee too. LOL.

I made an awesome dinner. Hops smoked chicken and buttered spaetzle.

The hops smoked chicken was an experiment, and turned out freaking awesome. I'll post a recipe in an old reurrected recipe thread. It was awesome.

The hops smoking on the grill smelled oddly similar to another herb related to the hop family.

That sounds freaking good, so I will be looking for the recipe. I just had some grilled chicken breast w/ some corn and peas. SWMBO and I both got home late and had work to do.

the_bird said:
Since when does work interfere with posting endlessless on homebrewtalk? I have seven monitors on my desk for a reason; one of them gets to be something mindless to keep myself fresh.

This week is special.

I get about 300 emails a day at work, 50 of which I really need to carefully read and respond to. I was out of the office for 32 days. I've been doing a lot of reading and typing. :)

Things will change once I am caught up on that backlog. In order to reduce stress on me, my assignments have been changed a bit. Instead of managing a team of people and writing some code, I'm just managing the group of people now. The coding was given to one of the gus on my team.

When we get into the thick of our project, I'm just going to have to make sure people are doing what they are supposed to be doing and shovel management-type crap uphill and downhill.

I'll be bored out of my skull at work come November or December.

Walker-san said:
Things will change once I am caught up on that backlog. In order to reduce stress on me, my assignments have been changed a bit. Instead of managing a team of people and writing some code, I'm just managing the group of people now. The coding was given to one of the gus on my team.
It's a trap. You're screwed.

Burgers Medium rare with horseradish and bannana peppers and baked onion rings. Some oktoberfest and a few stouts oh and a bottle of wine with SWMBO. Right now it is the Sweet stout and I know I will be hungover tomowwow when I must awake at 5:30 for work...

Dude said:
Do you like that?

It's not in my top ten, but probably in my top 25. I like porters, and this is basically a porter fermented with Alt yeast.

I take it that you don't care for it?

edit: I would like it more if it had a little more body to it.

-walker

Walker-san said:
It's not in my top ten, but probably in my top 25. I like porters, and this is basically a porter fermented with Alt yeast.

I take it that you don't care for it?

edit: I would like it more if it had a little more body to it.

-walker

No. I always see it and I'm tempted to buy it, but I can't pull the trigger for some reason.

Back