how long should I let my strawberry wine age?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papinquack

Reaction score
I just back sweetened and bottled bottled my first 2 gallons of strawberry wine. It's 3 months old, slightly pink and very clear. Throughout the rackings I've tasted a little bit each time and there has been a consistant weird taste that I can only guess is "yeastie"; even after sweetening I still tasted it. I'm figuring this may be because I used a whole pack of yeast on such a small batch? I used Lalvin71B-1122 so it may not have been the right yeast for this type of wine any way? Newbie wine making lack of research. I'm hoping this taste issue is normal for this type of wine and it just needs to age a bit. If thats the case how long should I let it age?

Did you stabilize using Potassium sorbate to kill the yeast during any of the rackings?

Never made a strawberry, but generally give it several months, age can really only do good, unless it is a weaker wine not suited for aging, but you should be ok.

Using the whole pack is not the problem. The yeast reproduce a whole hell of a lot at the beginning stages of fermentation and generally yeast pkg are good for 1-6 gallons. So pitching a bit more only limits how much the yeast need to reproduce before they reach their optimum population size. I've found in use and through advice that 71b is quite good for bringing out fruit characters in brew, so I don't see why it would be a bad choice for this wine. The flavors will mellow and blend, and some off flavors will age out completely, but it's hard to tell until you've put in the time.

It's wine.

One year.

Serve no wine before it's time!

Pogo

Back