Recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
I have decided to brew small batches and step down from all grain. I have not brewed in a long time probably a year or so. I am stepping down from 10 to 3 gallon batches, It just got to be too much work for me and I lost interest, cleaning sanitizing, and cleaning up keeping up with hoses etc.. And I just dont have room for all that right now. So I was gonna brew the below recipe on the stove 3 gallon batch and just wanted to see if anyone thought the recipe looked ok, and what IBU I should shoot for ....
It looks like my OG might be 1.055 or so, I was thinking 55IBU? Any comments? Just want a darkale, with some good body, and not to bitter.

#4.5 Dark Malt Extract
#1 Domestic special pale malt
#1/4 Belgian Special B
#1/4 German Dark Crystal
All grains milled and in muslin bag.
1oz Target or something close to target?
1oz Crystal or something similar.
1 pack Windsor ale yeast.

It definitely will be dark like you want it. I was about to say up the hopps but then I realized its a 3 gallon and not a 5 gallon batch. Looks good.

It would be very dark and tasty. Your IBU's would be higher than what your looking for with those hops assuming your bittering with Target for 60 minutes. Your could probably get away with 1/2 oz. of Target, or 1 oz. of something with a lower AA% like Willamette for example.

Back