Question and Intro

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SubRoc

Reaction score
Intro First:
Howdy all, I am just looking to get started in home brewing and had a few questions.

The equipment I was looking at was the basic kit from MidSouth (gee that is the same guys I ordered all of my reloading supplies from). Is this a decent Kit at a decent price?

Type of beer - Which beer kit should I start with? I enjoy JD's Honey Brown and Shiner Bock.

I know I will have many more questions in the future and Hope I don't become a pain.

Thanks for all responses.

SubRoc

Silly (not stupid) question...what do you like to drink? That's the answer.;)

As for becoming a pain...there's a long line ahead of you so ask away.:D

I do ask that you use the search function as I can rest assure you...someone has already asked the question's that are not yet in your head.

Welcome.:mug:

Where are you from?

SubRoc said:
Intro First:
Howdy all, I am just looking to get started in home brewing and had a few questions.

The equipment I was looking at was the basic kit from MidSouth (gee that is the same guys I ordered all of my reloading supplies from). Is this a decent Kit at a decent price?

Type of beer - Which beer kit should I start with? I enjoy JD's Honey Brown and Shiner Bock.

I know I will have many more questions in the future and Hope I don't become a pain.

Thanks for all responses.

SubRoc
In my experience, both Honey Browns and Bocks are Lagers, and not for the average first-time brewer to do...but everybody is different. However, if you do plan on doing a lager on your first attempt, know that you need to find a way to keep it cool during primary and especially during secondary.

Why during primary? Lager yeasts work best at temps usually between 48 and 56 degrees - get much warmer than that and they will start producing off flavors. Why secondary? Lagers, by definition, need to be lagered (aged, or stored, which is what the word LAGER means) at near freezing temps for a while. So if you don't have facilities to do this temp controlling, I would back off a lager and brew an ale. Ales are a little easier, more forgiving in temperature variations, and the results are a little more error-tolerant than lagers.

New Mexico (friggin litterbox of the US).

As for keeping the temps low that would be an issue, it has been running in the high 90's this last week -- I will be doing more research and utilizing the forums more.

Thanks for the responses.

an easy first beer is a hefeweisen. it may not be what you are used to drinking but it is fairly simple; it is light and refreshing, the grain bil is easy and the hop bill is easy. It is a great summer beer and and an easy beginner beer. 50% wheat 50% malt Boil with 1 oz tettenang for 60 min , finish with 1/2 oz saaz at 30 min and again with 1/2 saaz at 5 min. for a clean finish with hefe yeast ferment between 60 and 70 degrees if the temp is higher no big deal, just keep an eye on the primary so it doesn't explode.

Your temps are going to be too high even for an ale. There's plenty of steps to keep your temperatures down. Most ales produce best from 65-70 degrees. I keep my fermenter in a tub of water and swap out frozen 1-gallon water bottles twice a day.

Back