flip-open kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mageac

Reaction score
i had a relatively recent issue of Zymurgy or another mag where it highlighted a project someone made. It was a kind of flip open beer dispenser made on the underside of a lid of a chest freezer. The key was that the taps were installed on the flipping part so they would stay in the freezer when not being used. Anyone recall what this thing is called or how to build it cause I can't find that particular magazine? Thanks for your help.

Why would you want to do that. You have to open the lid every time you want a beer?

Hmm. I'm with Arneba28 on this one. I suppose if you didn't like the look of the taps it would be a way to go. Of course, you'd never have to worry about cooling the lines all the way to the tap! :D

Disclaimer: I am obviously biased since constructing my Keezer ;)

I saw that too. It was in Zymurgy and I believe he called it the "Portland Tap". I didn't read the article so I'm unsure as to what his reasoning for this was.

ah yes...it was called the Portland tap. The reason being is that I keep my chest freezer in a place where I don't want taps sticking out of the top or sides. although the keezer looks awesome. plus i like to whole stealthy, hidden tap look. kinda like a bookcase hiding the secret lair...or something like that.

Hi - I happened to see this posting and thought I'd reply. I am the guy behind the "Portland Tap". If you are still looking for information on this, I have a copy of the article on my web site Buesseler.com (click on the "Portland Tap" button).

The design works great for me. It keeps the lines and faucets chilled, and I never have problems with fruit flies, or other contamination. More importantly, the "stealth" look keeps my wife happy.

Let me know if I can offer any advice, etc if you decide to build one.

John

Welcome to the board...Congrats on the kid!

I like the idea, just because I'ts different.

I'd like to see those taps every time I looked over there, so I'd have to put it in a cold room so the beer would get cold when I left the top open. :D

I like the access control aspect, keeps kids and uninvited neighbors out of your stash.

I actually like that idea. Everytime I try to take something apart and turn it into something else, I end up having to buy a new on. So I'm all for no-drilling/cutting a fridge/freezer :)

Hi - I happened to see this posting and thought I'd reply. I am the guy behind the "Portland Tap". If you are still looking for information on this, I have a copy of the article on my web site Buesseler.com (click on the "Portland Tap" button).

The design works great for me. It keeps the lines and faucets chilled, and I never have problems with fruit flies, or other contamination. More importantly, the "stealth" look keeps my wife happy.

Let me know if I can offer any advice, etc if you decide to build one.

John

congrats :mug:

Back