I always wondered how much yeast was in my ball jar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveg5555

Reaction score
So I took a smackpack of British Ale II and dumped it into the same size ball jar (8oz) that I put washed yeast. Turns out its pretty close to the same. There is some junk on top of the smackpack yeast cake that i presume to be inert stuff. I did not "smack" the pack. I just dumped the contents and added a little water to swirl out some yeast at the bottom. Tossed the activator packet. Safe to say that my washed yeast is ~ 1/2 or more of a smackpack. Now I know how to estimate the "amount" of yeast. Viability, actual yeast count, and such is still up in the air without a microscope and free time.
There may be a million posts on this but I couldnt find a pic that would satisfy my curiosity.
For the record: smackpack on left, my washed on right.

PS. Thank you Yeast Washing Illustrated.

photo(2).jpg

Very cool. Thanks for the info. I'm guessing there's quite a bit of yeast in the nutrient/trub layer as well (based on woodland's blog). I bet half is pretty accurate.

I love this comparison. I couldnt find anything that really told me how much yeast I had in my jars either!

I wonder if a White Labs vial would produce about the same amount? I will have to do this next time I get a vial...

Thanks for the demo!

Back