Any local homebrewers in alaska

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
metalpysko said:
Any one in Fairbanks

There's a few of us on here. Welcome. Been brewing long? Me? Only since October. I'm sure there are more experienced brewers in the area but I may be able to shed some light on stuff if you're just getting started.

Happy Brewing!

metalpysko said:
What do u do for water???

Not sure about the club, haven't heard of one besides the one you're speaking of.

I use tap water (hills near UAF) or, if I've planned a brew day far enough out I haul jugs to the water wagon off Chena pump.

I've been brewing since feb 2011 what type of brewer are you?

I do all grain. Also, Dave(I think that's his name) at Gavora's was talking about one that used to exist. Maybe we should quit talkin' and start walkin'. I know a few home brewers that may be interested in a more organized effort including meetings, brew swaps, etc...

Let's come up with a name and make some posters!

Fairbanks Fermenters or Fairbanks Fermentists <----

Then the standard Fairbanks stuff:

Aurora Brewers...
Borealis Brewers...
Interior of Alaska Brewers...
Northern Lights Brewing...
etc.

U really thought about this already huh? Im actually brewing Friday and Saturday with a buddy of mine for homebrew day r u brewing that day I also get my water from fox but the homebrew club we will have to get some people together I know a couple guys that want to start I have been teaching them how to brew. What do u do how long u been in ak

I'm in the Air National Guard out at Eielson. I came up on active duty for a three year tour back in January of 2003!! I'm still here. I'm going to a friends 50th on Saturday and the host of the party is a home brewer so I'll get in where I fit in.

I think there's actually quite a lot of homebrewers around here, but only a small % on the forum. I've thought about getting a club going, but there's a lot of logistical issues to work out and I don't get to brew often enough as it is.

klyph said:
I think there's actually quite a lot of homebrewers around here, but only a small % on the forum. I've thought about getting a club going, but there's a lot of logistical issues to work out and I don't get to brew often enough as it is.

Concur. I've been in Gavora's and seen an order of hops disappear in a day. They're out there, we're out here...

I walked in there several weeks back and they were completely out. Thankfully I had a packet of 05 stashed away and was able to keep on track. It did encourage me to start reusing yeast - just in case! They've really expanded their stock in the past few weeks, hopefully they keep moving in that direction.

metalpysko said:
Yea u know the one bad thing about gavoras is there is not alot of ale yeast

metalpysko said:
What were u brewing?

Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde, which calls for Notty. So it was either not brew or use the 05. It turned out amazingly. I'm planning on brewing it again later this week using Notty and comparing the difference between the 2. I ended up stocking up on a few hops and yeasts during my last trip to Anchorage.

Ah very nice. I'm considering building a small stand for my BK, burner, and counter flow chiller. I don't have a lot of extra space, but it would be nice to not have to set the BK on an upside down garbage can to drain into the chiller and into the carboy. It works, but could definitely streamline the setup especially for brewing in the colder weather, both outside and inside the garage.

metalpysko said:
Have u thought about any brews this winter

I've got some plans for a couple of split batch porters (one split between bourbon and vanilla) and the other split with 2 different types of coffee. And a chocolate stout.

And for you?

A pumpkin ale I made the recipe and I haven't been able to make it I'm sure I'm gonna have to order the yeast because they won't have it and maybe the hops also

Brew swap!
I've got a Dunkel, a Hefe, an IPA and an APA and some Apfelwein. Let's get together and trade some bottles to break the ice. We can talk a group brew day then.

Who's up?

To revive an old thread, still new to fairbanks area (<1 year) and an experienced all grain brewer getting back into it after 7 years, looking for any local homebrewerd to nerd to. My wife's eyes glaze over when I talk about brewing

Latest posts

Back