First Time Extract Brewer. Recipe Suggestion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-Baron

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend an easy first time extract recipe using Dry Malts.

Whats an easy one for a first try that still tastes great.

Thanks

They're pretty much all the same difficulty: boil water, add extract, add hops, chill, pitch, wait 2 weeks, prime and bottle, wait 3 more weeks, drink.

If you're looking for an easy recipe, try 6 gallons of water, 6-8 pounds of amber extract, and 2-4 ounces of Cascade hops. Add half the hops after adding the extract and the boil returns (beware of boil-overs), and the other half of the hops after the wort has boiled for 45 minutes. Boil 15 more minutes, remove from heat and chill. Transfer to sanitized fermenter, add a packet of Nottingham Ale Yeast, seal the fermenter and put in the airlock. Leave in a cool, dark area. After 2 weeks your beer should be fermented. Add priming solution (3/4 c of corn sugar boiled in water for 15 minutes and chilled) to the fermenter, mix slowly, and transfer it to bottles. Wait 3 weeks, chill some bottles, and enjoy.

Could this same thing be applied to half the water for the boil and then just top it up in the fermenter with the other half of the water?

Could this same thing be applied to half the water for the boil and then just top it up in the fermenter with the other half of the water?

Yes, you can do it that way.

If you're doing half the water, though, I would strongly recommend adding only a couple pounds of your extract at first, and the remainder in the last 15 minutes (stop the timer until the boil returns). Otherwise you might have some flavor issues from "cooking" the wort.

I'd say, pick a style of beer you like and buy a kit. As was said above, they are all about the same level of difficulty.

I would buy a kit of a style or clone of something you enjoy. Check out Austin Homebrew, Northern Brewer, Morebeer.com etc and find a kit.

Most kits at those sites are tried and true, and the ingredients because of how much they sell are fresh.

Edit: didn't see the OP asking for recipes with dry malts. my bad.d

shoultz-meyer brewery has recipes on Brewmasterswarehouse.com. They have most if not all of their recipes in extract, partial mash, and all grain so it makes it easy to choose from.

This Baltic Porter was my second brew by them and second brew for me to make. It has a nice taste in the bottle, plus you'll get some Nottingham yeast out of it when you're done. Notty is can be used for a TON of recipes later. So if you wash your yeast at the end you will save money on purchasing yeast your next recipe if it calls for Notty.

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/249b14c8/shoultzmeyer-brewery-baltic-sea-porter

Back