Rye PA recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveO

Reaction score
My lovely bride has been requesting her favorite brew style. She loves the spice and hops of a good Rye PA. Founders Red Rye PA, and Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye as examples. I am only set up for extract w/ specialty grains, or a PM with extract. Can a Rye PA recipe be done under those constraints? If so would any of you very kind folks have a recipe to share? If I appease SWMBO with her own brew, the rest of my brewing life will go much smoother.
TIA for any help and advice that you can offer!

Dave:)

Thanks TH, I saw that thread. I guess my biggest quest for info is if Rye can be steeped or if it will work well in a PM. If it needs to be mashed, what would the amounts/volumes be needed for a PM. I would really love to develop a recipe for my wife. She has been very forgiving in my brewing endeavors.
Thanks for your help.

Rye is a tough one. I've done only a couple rye beers (love them, though!) so I'm no expert. Rye malt definitely has to be mashed. It should have enough diastatic power to convert itself. I did Denny Conn's rye IPA recipe, and loved it.

If you mash it, you'd want to use 1.25-2 quarts of water per pound, and mash it at 153ish. You can sparge with up to .5 gallons per pound, or up to your boil volume.

I do PM ryes all the time...there's nothing to it. If you're using rye malt, mash it with some base malt (I use 2-row, which seems to work fine). If you're using flaked rye, cook it, then mash it with the base malt. Sparge and proceed!

I do PM ryes all the time...there's nothing to it. If you're using rye malt, mash it with some base malt (I use 2-row, which seems to work fine). If you're using flaked rye, cook it, then mash it with the base malt. Sparge and proceed!

Teacher, by any chance do you have a recipe available. I understand the concept of PM'ing, but I don't know the ratios to use. I'm a fairly new brewer, and at least like to follow a recipe for a brew at first. Once I get the feel for how it brews and tastes, then I like to tweak it a bit to be more what I am looking for.
Thanks,

OK what y'all think of this recipe, it doesn't give any gravity measurements so I will just trust it's good. The grain bill, and hop schedule sound about right. I might up the DME to match what my LHBS sells. Whatcha think...

Piggish Rye IPA

Total batch size = 5 gallons; Partial Mash in 3 gallon beverage cooler; ~3 gallon 60 minute stove-top boil; very late malt extract addition; dry hopped for aroma; target abv of 6.5%.
3 3/4 lb 2-Row Pale Malt
3/4 lb Rye Malt
1/2 lb 10L Crystal Malt
1/2 lb Carapils/Dextrin Malt
1/2 lb Wheat Malt
4 1/4 lb Briess Golden Light Dry Malt Extract (DME)
2 oz Columbus Hops (12.3% AA)
2 oz Cascade Hops (6% AA)
1 1/2 oz Simcoe Hops (13.2% AA)
1 oz Centennial Hops (8% AA)
1 tablet Whirlfloc
White Labs WLP001 California Ale Yeast
4 oz corn sugar (for bottle priming)

Hop Schedule:
1 oz Columbus - 60 minutes boil
1/2 oz Cascade - 30 minutes boil
1 oz Cascade - 15 minutes boil
1/4 oz Columbus - 2 minutes boil
1/2 oz Simcoe - 2 minutes boil
1 oz Columbus - Dry Hop in Secondary Fermenter
1/2 oz Cascade - Dry Hop in Secondary Fermenter
1 oz Simcoe - Dry Hop in Secondary Fermenter
1 oz Centennial - Dry Hop in Secondary Fermenter

Heat 8.25 quarts water to 165 degrees for a target mash temperature of 150-153 degrees. Place the 6 pounds of crushed grain (2-Row Pale, Rye, 10L Crystal, Carapils and Wheat) into a large mesh bag. Pour the hot water into the beverage cooler, then lower the grain bag into the water very slowly, pushing and prodding with a large spoon to ensure all the grain is wet (this can take several minutes). Put the lid on the cooler and allow to rest 60 minutes.

While the grains are mashing, heat another 4-5 quarts of water to 180-185 degrees for sparging (rinsing the grains). Near the end of the 60 minutes, heat 2 quarts of water to a boil in your brew pot.

After the first mash is complete, remove the cooler lid and open the spigot to draw off about 2 quarts of wort into a large pitcher. The first few draws will likely be cloudy with grain particles; if so, pour it gently back into the cooler over the grain bag to help filter it. Draw off the remaining wort by the pitcher-full and carefully pour that wort into the boiling water in your brew pot; continue until only a trickle of wort leaves the spigot.

Pour about 4 quarts of your hot sparge water over the grain bag in the cooler. Gently lift the bag up and down to thoroughly re-wet the grains (but don't slosh). Cover and let sit about 5 minutes. Use the spigot and a pitcher to draw off all of the second wort and add it to your brew pot. You should have about 3 gallons of wort.

Bring the wort to a boil and add hops according to the schedule. At time zero, remove from heat and add the DME one pound at a time, stirring to dissolve (alternatively, with 15 minutes left, carefully begin adding DME by the cup-full, stirring well between each addition; at time zero, add the remaining DME off the heat). Stir in 1 tablet Whirlfloc. Cover and let sit 10-15 minutes.

Move brew pot to an ice bath and cool quickly to less than 80 degrees. Transfer wort to a primary fermenter, straining most of the hops. Add water to reach the 5 gallon mark. Swirl vigorously then pitch the yeast.

Ferment in primary for 1 week, then transfer to secondary and dry hop with 1 oz Columbus, 1/2 oz Cascade, 1 oz Simcoe and 1 oz Centennial. Bottle or keg after fermentation is complete (2 to 3 weeks in secondary).

Is Whirlfloc worth using over Irish Moss? Does it matter that my soon to be bought Mash Tun is greater than 3 gallons? If I can only get grain bags rated up to 3#, would it hurt to do 2 grain bags in the same mash?
Will a late DME addition give a hot break and foam-over.
Thanks for any advice you can offer. This will be my first foray into AG/PM brewing and I want it to go well...so I can continue.
Thanks,

I would definitely up the rye on this. My Rye IPA has 3 lbs, and I'm not sure it's as present as in Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye.

Whirlfloc vs Irish Moss? If you have Irish Moss, use that. If not, give Whirlfloc a try.

The only problem with a larger mash tun is it's harder to maintain the temp with more headspace. How big will it be?

Check out Northern Brewer.They offer an excellent partial mash RyePA kit. My brother made this kit recently and it comes out great (nice and spicy). If you click on "inventory" you can see the ingredients and the instructions.

I think you should up the rye, and ditch the carapils. Especially if you're also going to use some wheat malt. With those two non-barley rains, you'll have plenty of body, the carapils seems unnecessary. I made a "Multigrain APA" with 1# of rye and wheat each and I honestly thought I should have upped the amounts of each. I feel like 10% rye is the minimum you should have to get that character, and something around 15-20% is better.

So maybe doulble the amount of rye.

Liquid money!

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Rye DIPA
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 6.22 gal