Did you save your first homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobshannon1

Reaction score
So I've saved a 6pk each of the first 7 batches or so of homebrew. I'm debating just drinking them, some of them are delish! (My American Apricot Wheat was the best).

I'm starting to run out of space. I could use more empties for upcoming beers sitting in both my primary and secondary Etc.

My questions to you is:

Do you wish you would have saved some of your original homebrews? Will I appreciate them on my shelf years down the line as I continue to homebrew?

Kinda like saving an old baseball glove, or even better a pack of Topps Baseball cards. You know the gum is going to taste like crap, so you'll never eat it, but it's nostalgic!

I wish I would have saved a few of my first, but I didn't. Of course, I did save a few after the first few batches for a while and I was very pleased with the results. But you're right, it would have been nice to save a few of the very first one or two batches for a year or two down the road just to compare and for nostalgia. Ahh well. :mug:

I saved one bottle from each brew for my first year. I started cracking them open on New Year's Eve and the first few were undrinkable :( They weren't that bad when I made them and there were no signs of infection. Age just didn't do them well.

i dont have one of my first but the next six batches i have saved. they just sit in the back of a cupboard and i pull them out every once in a while with the intention of drinking them but still havent

I saved some from my first few batches, then the idea got old. I did however just open one from my first batch las september and it was just as I remembered it.

I've cracked a few since I first posted that comment. Looking to put design or solid label on them with the recipe Etc. Probably will put 1 bottle from each batch up in the home office on display.
But...
I think Shooter has it right, Live in the now!
:D

I saved two bombers from each batch the first year and had tasting party for my family: 9 brews 18 bottles. This is my second year, and I have already brewed 12 times, so the bombers are really taking up room. I'm going to have a tasting party after six months and be done with it. Live in the now!

First batch- No. They all exploded.

Second batch- No. They were crap. It was from Pool & Spa store that had one corner dedicated to homebrewing. No written instructions. Just verbal help from an employee. He had us dump dried yeast into the boiling wort.

tried to save a handfull of my first brews...they became over carbonated so I thought I should probably drink them. Now I just re-brew :)

I've got a few bottles from my first two batches, but I'm not sure which is which. That was when I was labeling the *boxes* and not the *bottles*.

Needless to say, I didn't make that mistake again…

I just had an old Porter that I brewed March 2010. Lets just say that it is definitly NOT a fine wine, and does not get better with age!

I don't think I've ever had a beer make it past 3 or 4 months. One day maybe, not yet though.

(I thought only Rachel Rae was allowed to use the word, delish ?)

I'm saving 1 bottle of my first batch of apple wine I made 3/22/13 .
It was not sweet, but not dry either. A nice balance. Thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the 5 gal.

1st_WINEBOTTLE.jpg

I have one bottle tucked in the back of the fridge from my first batch about 4 years ago now. Don't plan to ever drink it - but I'll keep it tucked back there out of the way.

I have a 12 oz bottle of my Heff sitting on my desk. I'm not going to drink it. The yeast looks gray and if you swirl the bottle it does not look good. It has settled a lot now and it looks fine until you look at the color of the cake.

Back