Just brewed my first batch... but is it over before it begins?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHeadGrady

Reaction score
Hello All,

I just finished my first batch of beer. I am using the Coopers DIY kit, which comes with the Lager. After a lot of research I decided to steep a 1/2 lb of Pale malt in a approx one gal of water. Then, after steeping, I boiled with a 1/2 oz of hallertau hops for 5 min. I added the DME (Brew Enhancer #1 kit) and Can of Lager extract to this, then topped up the water.

However, the water was at about 26 degrees so I put it up on a clean platform out on my covered deck (its -11 C ) here today. The temp on the side got down to 21 so I pulled it back in and pitched. Then the temp went back up to 24.5. I am guessing the temp sticker gauge was reading more of the outside temp than inside.

Is pitching the yeast at 24.5 going to kill me here?

I poured a bit into my hydrometer and it is reading 1.037 ( I think, its just before 40 on the gauge)

Its been about 20 min since pitching and I am now at 23.5. I heard that this is a very sensitive stage.

Did I eff' up?

pitching that high won't kill you, but get it below 20C (or to 10C if you actually used a lager yeast) asap.

23.5C is about 74F. That's a bit warm for a lager yeast; however, you can try to bring the temperature down to the proper range and see what happens.

How do you plan on controlling fermentation temperatures in the proper range for your lager yeast (7-15C)?

One other observation: The 1/2 pound pale malt is not going to add any fermentable sugars unless it's mashed first.

Hello All,

I just finished my first batch of beer. I am using the Coopers DIY kit, which comes with the Lager. After a lot of research I decided to steep a 1/2 lb of Pale malt in a approx one gal of water. Then, after steeping, I boiled with a 1/2 oz of hallertau hops for 5 min. I added the DME (Brew Enhancer #1 kit) and Can of Lager extract to this, then topped up the water.

However, the water was at about 26 degrees so I put it up on a clean platform out on my covered deck (its -11 C ) here today. The temp on the side got down to 21 so I pulled it back in and pitched. Then the temp went back up to 24.5. I am guessing the temp sticker gauge was reading more of the outside temp than inside.

Is pitching the yeast at 24.5 going to kill me here?

I poured a bit into my hydrometer and it is reading 1.037 ( I think, its just before 40 on the gauge)

Its been about 20 min since pitching and I am now at 23.5. I heard that this is a very sensitive stage.

Did I eff' up?

I'm new to brewing as well, I'm on my 7th brew now. On my first one I was sure I screwed up everything about it. But it came out great. You will sweat it and agonize over everything in the beginning. Your results will be quite gratifying, trust me. There are certain people on this board (you will figure out who they are over time) that will give you the best advise you could ever imagine. Listen to them, they are very generous with their knowledge and have been doing it for a long time. I hope you come to enjoy it as much as I do. I have wonderful dreams about making beer. Good luck.

23.5C is about 74F. That's a bit warm for a lager yeast; however, you can try to bring the temperature down to the proper range and see what happens.

How do you plan on controlling fermentation temperatures in the proper range for your lager yeast (7-15C)?

One other observation: The 1/2 pound pale malt is not going to add any fermentable sugars unless it's mashed first.

With the Coopers kit, you pitch with Ale yeast (makes sense eh :p). It notes ideal fermenting temp to be between 21-23 for optimal results. Im just hoping that extra degree wont come back to haunt me.

When it comes to messing up fermenting, is a few degrees less better than a few degrees more ?

I will still get a bit more malt flavor from that half lb though? Thats all i am looking for. A bit more malt flavor and a bit of hop profile.

My cold storage is 12C tho. I could do a real lager then? Thats my fav. I just moved the batch into that room to help get this down to 21 ASAP. It hasnt been that long tho.

I love this hobby. Already met one new friend who lives a couple blocks away who's brewing at my LHBS this morning. Nothing like meeting fellow brew mates that are within walking distance :)

the 21-23C is wort temp. active fermentation will bring the temp up 2-5C, so you typically want to pitch a few C less. IMO >21C is too hot for anythign not belgian, wheat, or saison til fermentation tails off anyway. fermenting too high will cause more esters (fruitiness) and can cause fusels (harsh alcohol). too low mostly just puts the yeast to sleep

1/2 lb of 2-row won't add much flavor. try munich or vienna next time

CraigTube's Channel - YouTube

Seems like I am going to be just fine for the most part..I think. Temp is now 21. So the temp went from 24 - 21 in 1.5 hrs of pitching.

Thanks for the advice on the Vienna etc. I am going to brew another batch tomorrow :p.
The Pale Malt was free so I said what the hell.

They always give the OS lager with cooper's brew kits. It uses a 7g packet of their ale yeast,so it's really a light pale ale. & half a pound of brew enhancer 1 won't add much to the mix. Brew Enhancer #1 consists of 60% dextrose,40% maltodextrin. Their light DME is labeled as such.
And 18-20C is a better range for the cooper's ale yeast. So you'll need to get the temps down a little.

They always give the OS lager with cooper's brew kits. It uses a 7g packet of their ale yeast,so it's really a light pale ale. & half a pound of brew enhancer 1 won't add much to the mix. Brew Enhancer #1 consists of 60% dextrose,40% maltodextrin. Their light DME is labeled as such.
And 18-20C is a better range for the cooper's ale yeast. So you'll need to get the temps down a little.

Thanks. That temp range will be easy to keep. As far as the brew enhancer, I just used the box that came with the kit. On top of that, I used 1/2 lb of Pale Malt. Steeped that and then boiled with a 1/2 oz haullertau hops for a couple mins. I added about a gallon of this to the coopers kit.

Back