Refractometer problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GNBrews

Reaction score
Let me preface this post by saying I'm a total newb at using my new refractometer. :)

My problem is that when measuring liquids that have any color other than water clear (eg. beer and wine), my refractometer (with ATC) is reading *much* higher than my hydrometer.

For instance, when I measure the gravity of a batch of Welch's wine I've been fermenting, my hydrometer reads 1.010. However, when I place a few drops on the refractometer, it measures 10.2% brix (1.041). Measuring the gravity of a batch of Apfelwein that's finished, my hydrometer reads 1.000. The refractometer reads 5.4% brix (1.021).

I played around with creating plain sugar water solutions, and the hydrometer and the refractometer definitely jive when measuring those.

Sugar water experiments:

Hydrometer Refractometer
1.013 3.2
1.025 6.0
1.052 13.0

What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Nevermind, as I said I'm a total refractometer newb. Read more...duh. I didn't realize that you need to use some fancy algorithms to calculate the gravity once there is alcohol in solution. Guess this thing is useful only as a pre-fermentation measure.

refractometer is thrown off if there is alcohol in the sample as well as by chunks or sediment. You need to make sure its a clean sample your using for comparison. Also make sure your hydrometer reads 1.000 at 60 degrees F or whatever its calibrated at. Calibrate the refractomter the same way. They should agree for the most part. ahh i just read your edit. good catch

Let me preface this post by saying I'm a total newb at using my new refractometer. :)

My problem is that when measuring liquids that have any color other than water clear (eg. beer and wine), my refractometer (with ATC) is reading *much* higher than my hydrometer.

For instance, when I measure the gravity of a batch of Welch's wine I've been fermenting, my hydrometer reads 1.010. However, when I place a few drops on the refractometer, it measures 10.2% brix (1.041). Measuring the gravity of a batch of Apfelwein that's finished, my hydrometer reads 1.000. The refractometer reads 5.4% brix (1.021).

I played around with creating plain sugar water solutions, and the hydrometer and the refractometer definitely jive when measuring those.

Sugar water experiments:

Hydrometer Refractometer
1.013 3.2
1.025 6.0
1.052 13.0

What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Nevermind, as I said I'm a total refractometer newb. Read more...duh. I didn't realize that you need to use some fancy algorithms to calculate the gravity once there is alcohol in solution. Guess this thing is useful only as a pre-fermentation measure.

Actually that's not true. You DO need to know what the OG was though. You'll enter the OG and current refract reading in brix into this spreadsheet http://morebeer.com/public/beer/refractbeer.xls

That spreadsheet makes a fairly ideal attenuation assumption for your yeast. Still fairly useless during fermentation IMO.

Yeah, but I don't think it's accurate. Go to Tools, then "Refractometer Tool". Change the calculation drop-down to "Fermenting Wort Gravity", and fill-in both your current refractometer reading, and the starting specific gravity. The corrected specific gravity should be listed below.

Here's why I don't think it's accurate. If I put in my starting gravity as 1.103 for my Welch's wine, then enter the current refractometer reading of 10.2% Brix, it tells me that my gravity corrected gravity is 1.003. Measured with a hydrometer, it reads 1.010.

Same thing with the Apfelwein. My original gravity was 1.068 and my current refractometer reading is 5.4% Brix. The "Corrected Gravity" is 0.993. The gravity measures 1.000 with my hydrometer.

Back