Second AG completed.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MN_Jay

Reaction score
And my efficiency went from 61% to 84%....whoop whoop!! Better crush, 1/2 gallon extra sparge water and slower sparge (not sure if this contributed or not), other than that, everything else was the same as the first time...:mug: Thanks for the help.

Congrats, its a great feeling isnt it? I just completed my 2nd AG and efficiency went from 60 to 87%. Better crush, larger sparge, and changed everything else. Lets hope our first one was the fluke and the second's stats stick. :mug:

Are you crushing it yourself now? My first 2 AG's had efficiency in the mid 60's but I have been ordering pre-crushed grain that hasn't appeared completely crushed to me. I'm pretty sure this is my problem. Considering a Barley Crusher at this point....

Congrats on the efficiency. My first 2 AG batches were in the mid 60's as well. I think I'm gonna play with my sparge technique before I go out and get a crusher.

Are you crushing it yourself now? My first 2 AG's had efficiency in the mid 60's but I have been ordering pre-crushed grain that hasn't appeared completely crushed to me. I'm pretty sure this is my problem. Considering a Barley Crusher at this point....

I got a 20 dollar adjustable corona mill off ebay. Works perfect if you ask me, I'm going to make a larger hopper for it and thats it.

No, I'm just getting a better crush from AHS. My first crush was too course I think...see this thread......

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/first-crush-79729/

This time the crush was noticeably finer and I think was the big factor was my efficiency jump.

Racked to secondary yesterday, FG was 1.009. I'm trying to figure out attenuation so since the SG was 1.050 does that mean that the attenuation was 82%?

Back