BTF Iodophor - How to?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonvolt

Reaction score
Can anyone give me a brief "How To" about their use of BTF Iodophor. How strong do you mix it, etc.

Thnx

I use 1 capfull for 2.5 gallons of water which gives 12.5 ppm according to the instructions on the side. I let stuff soak in it for 1-2 minutes take it out, shake off the excess on it and go.

I just bought some Iodophor yesterday and mixed a solution per instructions. I expected the water to turn at least slightly brown but it didn't. It became clear after being mixed. Is this what is supposed to happen?

MrSaLTy said:
I use 1 capfull for 2.5 gallons of water which gives 12.5 ppm according to the instructions on the side. I let stuff soak in it for 1-2 minutes take it out, shake off the excess on it and go.

Question: After soaking, do you need to rinse with warm tap water?

Prowler 13 said:
I just bought some Iodophor yesterday and mixed a solution per instructions. I expected the water to turn at least slightly brown but it didn't. It became clear after being mixed. Is this what is supposed to happen?
No, this is not what is supposed to happen. It should be darker than Bud. I tried to think of a beer that resembles the color, but it is so long since I had to buy a beer, I can't remember what color they are. But it shouldn't be as dark as my special bitter:D

-a.

Prowler 13 said:

Yup exactly...dont go by what it looks like, just use the right amount as per instructions. Its important NOT to use too much, this will make it less affective.
It might look a little darker then water but not much.

Bjorn Borg said:
Yup exactly...dont go by what it looks like, just use the right amount as per instructions. Its important NOT to use too much, this will make it less affective.
It might look a little darker then water but not much.
If your water looks a little lighter than what properly mixed iodophor looks like, I'd certainly turn down a cup of it if you offered it to me.

Iodophor, properly mixed, should be a light brown/tan color, and doesn't require any rinsing (hence the reason it is referred to as a "no-rinse" sanitizer).

bikebryan said:
If your water looks a little lighter than what properly mixed iodophor looks like, I'd certainly turn down a cup of it if you offered it to me.

Iodophor, properly mixed, should be a light brown/tan color, and doesn't require any rinsing (hence the reason it is referred to as a "no-rinse" sanitizer).
:thumbup:

<small>blarf suck it longer than 10 characters message</small>

Back