Best Carbonation method without any bombs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chef-Ryan

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I have a Batch of Pearish (4:1 pear to apple juice 100% pure) Cider. I added honey to bring it up to 1.055-1.060 (my notes are not with me it was a slight over shot of 1.055) and Pitched it with a champagne yeast (its what I have on hand right now) and am wondering What the best method to make it carbonated without the Bottles blowing up (I kinda want to use glass since they look nicer) i see they have carbonation Tabs .. or I hit it with a small amount of sugar then bottle it. But does this work if I have cleared it? Thanks Guys and Gals

Once fermented dry(and this is the important part) go here: http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

I personally like 2.5 or higher for the CO2 volume. On an aside, I used 1 can of apple juice concentrate to around 5 gallons of hard cider, and the carbonation turned out just about perfect. but that may mess with your ratio so not sure if you want to use it.

But If I clear the Cider(either natually or using an agent), Is there still enough yeast to allow priming to work or will I have to do it before its fully clear?

But If I clear the Cider(either natually or using an agent), Is there still enough yeast to allow priming to work or will I have to do it before its fully clear?

Unless you're filtering, there will be enough yeast to carbonate. It's nice to let it drop clear or use finings, because after carbonating, you'll have less yeast on the bottom than if you bottle with yeast still in suspension.

Back