120 min clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a version of this brew from scottland thread. I finished at 14.87% ABV and with talking to my LHBS I bottled with champagne yeast and was fully carbed within 3 weeks. I know he has a higher alcohol but champagne yeast will survive up to 25% if I'm not mistaken. So it is possible to bottle beer with a high ABV. For any procedures on how to do it look at the thread scottland wrote. I explained step by step on how to do it.

Cheers

Yeah at 15% the bottle condition with the champagne yeast would definitely be possible. Do you think the 20+% would shock the yeast though or do you think they would take and convert the priming sugar?

I think you could as long as you had patience. I was really surprised my brew carbed that quick. So with my experience I would say yes. Although I haven bottled any beer that high but I'm fairly confident it would given some time at 70*F. Like all high gravity beers they need a lot of time to condition and giving a 20+ ABV I would assume it would take a pretty long time to carb.

If someone has anymore legit info from personal experience I would love to find out more as well. If it was my brew, I would bottle it with confidence.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Haven't checked gravity in a while will check today and post results later

Checked gravity and its at 1.022 hasn't changed in a while going to dry hop maybe this weekend maybe with a 3 oz mixture of simcoe and armirillo ill let this dry hop for 3 weeks then rack to Carboy and bulk age for a couple of months then keg and bottle
I tasted it today still very hoppy but had a lot of alcohol burn I'm very happy where it is right now lets see how it is after I dry hop should only get better

I've heard you should bulk age first then dry hop right before you package.

This seems a better route. Also a 3 week dry hop is going to give you some really grassy flavors. I would bulk age, then dry hop for no more than 2 weeks. Ideally you would be able to cycle the hops out every 3-4 days, so like 1 new ounce every 3-4 days, so it's not sitting on older hops for that long.

This seems a better route. Also a 3 week dry hop is going to give you some really grassy flavors. I would bulk age, then dry hop for no more than 2 weeks. Ideally you would be able to cycle the hops out every 3-4 days, so like 1 new ounce every 3-4 days, so it's not sitting on older hops for that long.

Agreed.

The recipe I'm following bulk aged his in carboy for a month before he started dry hopping. He added 1oz each of Amarillo and simcoe a week for 3 weeks. Then he kegged, carbed, and I think aged for another month. I'm going to be coming up on a month April 9th. Ill try it again then to see how hot it is. I won't start dry hopping until the heat dies down a lot.

Keezer died going to purchase a new one this week and hopefully legit by the weekend

Purchased chest freezer this morning will reassemble keezer mid week and will keg it this week sometime

I kegged the 120 today we will see in a few weeks what's going on
I tasted it today very strong alcohol burn with a very nice hop bitterness at first then a nice hop aroma we will see how she does after carbonation

With that much corn sugar I don't know if the alcohol burn will ever go away. That's a huge percentage of corn sugar for fermentables.

Tapped this one yesterday good hop flavor leads a little to the sweet side may try to get it to 1.015 next time I brew it but over all very happy with the way it turned out

Brewed bertus recipe a few weeks back...after adding 9+ pounds of dextrose ended fermentation at

image-3964555589.jpg

Now time to age at 40 for 2 mths prior to dry hopping - hovering at 20% mark!!!

Back