4 gallon on 5 gallon recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidcurry80

Reaction score
Obviously I am a new guy... made my batch a little too thick i guess with only about 4 gal in a 5 gal carboy looked up question and didnt find proper answer so.. should i just let it be, dont want to water it down so will I just have a more powerful brew or... thanks in advance

After you put your wort into the fermentor , you need to add water to bring it to the correct original gravity, this will usually bring your batch to around 5 gallons.

What was your OG vs. expected OG?

Most extract recipe kits instruct using a partial boil (2.5 gals) with adding top off water in the fermenter to 5 gals pre-pitch.

However, I'd rather have the correct gravity vs. the "correct" volume.

...I'd rather have the correct gravity vs. the "correct" volume.
This is one of those details that you start to value after brewing a few. Took me 5 batches to understand the importance.

I typical have too high an OG at 5 gals (typically .005 +.008) doing partial mashes, but leave it at the higher OG rather than adding more volume once I'm at 5 gals. Need some headspace in those 6 gal carboys. So my beer will be a bit stronger, which I don't mind personally.

None of the kits (even partial mash ones) go into any details on correct OG or correcting the OG, which is very easy to do *before* adding the extra water.

Thanks guys guess just a high og not a kit brew / 7lb light malt 1lb crystal malt 80 3/4 oz columbus hop @ boil And 1 oz of citra last ten min taste good looks dirty though

Back