Anxiety?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evolcoms

Reaction score
So I recently started having anxiety and have had one panic attack. This is really scary for me and I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on how to cope and what are some good ways to relieve stress other than drinking beer?

Think about chatting with your doctor about Xanex for occasional episodes - be aware that the benzodiazepines are addictive and only for episodes of anxiety. If you have consistent anxiety (i.e. GAD) they may offer Paxil or similar since they are not only antidepressants, but also effective at controlling anxiety. FYI, if you read about the paxil like drugs, there is a wide variety of positive and very negative opinions due to associated side effects.

Also consider breathing/relaxation exercises, meditation, yoga and getting regular exercise. Like many, I've had my fair share of stress/anxiety and personally have had good luck with relaxation/yoga/exercising.

Good luck with whichever route you go, I understand how much it can suck.

Google-- Terror Management Theory

Watch-- Flight From Death: The Quest for Immortality (I think it's on Hulu now)

Consider talking with someone. Meds, particularly psychotropics, are a temporary and ultimately fruitless "fix."

Cheers!

That sucks, sorry dude.
I was having panic attacks for a little while. I read about it, and got to know the symptoms. I actually thought there was something wrong with me, heart problem or something. After I actually figured out it was anxiety, I realized it was all in my head and I was overreacting, I began to calm down. Exercise helps, caffeine does not. I used to go for walks to calm down....do something normal to distract myself, do dishes, clean bottles, vacuum. Old video games that I used to play as a child, like super mario, seemed to help. Also just being in the company of someone I trust, or talking to someone on the phone really helped. I could not have gotten over being anxious alone. I got a lot of support from my girlfriend, relatives, and one friend really helped a lot had also experienced panic attacks and he eventually got over it. That gave me hope.

You can get over it... It won't last forever. Good luck!

That sucks, sorry dude.
I was having panic attacks for a little while. I read about it, and got to know the symptoms. I actually thought there was something wrong with me, heart problem or something. After I actually figured out it was anxiety, I realized it was all in my head and I was overreacting, I began to calm down. Exercise helps, caffeine does not. I used to go for walks to calm down....do something normal to distract myself, do dishes, clean bottles, vacuum. Old video games that I used to play as a child, like super mario, seemed to help. Also just being in the company of someone I trust, or talking to someone on the phone really helped. I could not have gotten over being anxious alone. I got a lot of support from my girlfriend, relatives, and one friend really helped a lot had also experienced panic attacks and he eventually got over it. That gave me hope.

You can get over it... It won't last forever. Good luck!

hopdoc's right, I forgot to add that it's recommended to cut back/remove caffeine from your diet. This was really hard for a while, and I still feel like I'm missing something when I have decaf coffee.

Sorry to hear. I have a lot of anxiety in my life and get those nasty panic attacks too. Have tried different medications but they are just a quick fix. In my area we have a "211" crisis line, they provide advice, referrals, or just someone to talk to. Have a plan of action for when it happens. What works for me is getting on youtube and watching funny videos. Put my headphones on to block everything out and just watch the videos. If it's so bad that I can't sit still, I just start walking, then sit down for funny videos when I get calmed down enough. Also bought a book on Amazon called "The Feeling Good Handbook". Written by a doctor who believes in alternative, drug-free treatments for anxiety/panic attacks. It's all about learning to de-stress and figuring out what works for you. Good luck.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I will try them all out. Its been a battler not only for me, but for my family as well. I just how it ends sooner than later. Right now the doc prescribed me lorezepam, witch has helped a little. I have been trying to identify things that trigger it and am trying to remove those from my day to day life. Thanks again fort the great advice.

I have been trying to identify things that trigger it and am trying to remove those from my day to day life.

That will help but most triggers, at least for me, are unavoidable. So get rid of triggers you can get rid of, then have a plan of action ready for the situations you can't avoid. My husband is very sick with cancer. Have been faced with several emergencies where I had to get immediate medical help for him. First couple times, I completely panicked. Couldn't even hardly see straight to find the phone. But talking to the counselor through the 211 line, I now have a plan of action. Lists taped to the refrigerator with numbers to call. The last time I didn't panic at all, just looked at the list and followed instructions. Can't avoid all situations so have a plan for when/if it happens. Again, good luck.

go see a psychiatrist. Some are cheaper than seeing your family Dr. If you see the right one, they will go for a minimum of nonaddictive meds (paxil, zoloft, lexapro).
If it is real bad get some emergency meds (zanax, ativan) until things get stabilized.

Get a copy of "Full Catastrophe Living" or other book on Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy and start learning how to turn off panic attacks. A psycolologist can help teach you these techniques.

Stop drinking and using caffeine.

(I am not a Dr, just a patient)

Welcome to the club.

Anxiety sucks and can virtually paralyze you. About 3 years ago the same thing happened to me and I seriously thought something was up with my body. After several visits to the doctor and thousands of dollars later, I eventually accepted that it was anxiety and yes, it happens to men also.

I have discovered that certain stresses will trigger this. Personally, I have identified and eradicated a few of the sources and I'm doing okay for the most part.

Best advice I can give you is to check with your doctor and make sure everything is okay physically. (Most likely your checkup will come back flawless)

From here, save yourself time and money and speak with someone close to you that may assist you in identifying the underlying cause. For me it was recently getting married, challenges with my business, and dealing with a dysfunctional family. Eventually I got married, business stabilized, and I avoid a select few members of my family that cause stress.

If you are unable to solve the mystery consult with a shrink.

As a last resort and a band-aid solution, get some pills. While they can be helpful, I would not recommend this as a first course of action. Unfortunately, many people reach for the pill before identifying the underlying issue.

In the mean time, grab a beer and try to relax.

just understand that you are having a panic attack and dont let it trick you into thinking its something else. once you realize what is happening you can minimize the suffering take a deep breath and rest assured.....that nothing is wrong. pm me if you need anything else. this can get personal. cheers

Little bit different situation but I get anxiety if I'm couped up in an airplane for a long time. Two-three hours no problem but when I do international flights for work I get it. I get a small, non-refillable script of Ativan/lorazepam prior to any trip like that. Helps lots.

whoaru99 said:
Little bit different situation but I get anxiety if I'm couped up in an airplane for a long time. Two-three hours no problem but when I do international flights for work I get it. I get a small, non-refillable script of Ativan/lorazepam prior to any trip like that. Helps lots.

That way if you do crash, certain death won't be as scary ;)

I kid. And I f*cking hate flying, but I do it often. It's sorta like swimming in the ocean for me- whenever I think about doing it, I freak out (sharks are scary as hell); then when I'm actually there my mind tricks me into thinking it is safe. Huh.

Some great advice above...just posting here to say that you are not alone and it is probably more common than you think. For me, when the panic is unmanageable the xanax worked wonders to get me back to logical thinking. The key for me is that I never took it two days in a row. It was for emergencies only.

Exercise, mental distractions (video games, good books) and GOOD sleep (not passed out) seem to help as well. Coffee and poor diet do make it worse for me.

Good luck!! It sucks, but it's manageable over time.

Here's the thing...

Xanax is a neurological depressant, just like our favorite beverage. While the act on slightly different neural pathways, they have an incredibly similar (mostly the same) impact on the user. Xanax does not reduce one's anxiety, but rather makes one less concerned about whatever it is that concerns them by literally slowing your brain down. In the same way alcohol "loosens inhibitions," so too does Xanax and other benzodiazepines. The real trick is coming to terms with with what underlies your concerns, not using a drug to cover it up. We all know those people who become different people only after they've had a few, and how obnoxious that can be. I own these as my opinions, and I know everyone has one. That said, I spent 12 years of my life studying this stuff and now work with people just like you, daily. A solution is possible, but it takes work. Drugs are easy and in no way a permanent solution.

Cheers!

Same happened to me a few years ago, I was suddenly paralyzed with anxiety. Went to the dr because I thought I was dying, I wasn't of course. He gave me Xanax and lexapro, the Xanax helped in certain situations, the lexapro gave me terrible headaches and I couldn't see straight, i stopped using the meds. Exercise is what cured me, once I get all that extra energy out of my system I'm fine, I haven't had an anxiety attack for over a year now. Feeling healthy gives u far less to worry about.

I've dealt with this a bit.

1 - Don't take pills for this. Those are worse than the anxiety. I've known way too many people destroyed by psyche "meds".
2 - Knowing that it is all in your head is huge. You know that occasionally you get over anxious and panic for no reason. Learn to recognize it coming on and slow down. When panicking usually your mind starts rushing for no reason. Slow it down. Deep breaths.
3 - Work through your trauma. Even if it is minor in the grand scheme of things, it still needs to be dealt with.
4 - Be engrossed with what you are doing. When you are actively engaged in something your mind has a harder time triggering the panic.

i think i heard vitamin B pills can help.

and chamomile tea and st. johns wort

Anxiety is a fickle ***** and is very closely related to depression. In fact, if anxiety is left untreated it often does lead you to depression. Ask me how I know...

Anyhow, there are a lot of ways to treat this. For me, it was Citalopram 10MG once a day and seams to regulate it and keep it in check. I don't get the sinking feelings anymore. No more panic attacks... Anyway, my GP was able to prescribe this for me. Be warned, it can take a long time to get the right medication and the right dosage but, stick with it and you will finally find the one that works for you and you will feel great!

Good luck,

Bummer man. I started having severe panic attacks about a year and a half ago. Came out of no where. After a couple of months trying to white knuckle it I finally went to counseling and had my Dr prescribe meds (Citlopram). Counselor gave me some tools to deal with stress/anxiety and the meds have really helped as well. When on them I feel totally fine. Hoping to start weaning off them soon though.

One other thing is that we discovered I have sleep apnea during all this which was intruding my sleep and contributing to my stress/anxiety.

I feel for ya, not fun but you can get through it.

Probably not a good idea to seek advice on anxiety/panic attacks on a home brewing forum... That being said, PM me if you have some questions or require referrals. All the best...

fivespot said:
Funny, Xfevv. I could have written the exact same post... :) or :(... However you look at it...

I'm actually amazed at how many people have similar stories. I never realized how many people deal with anxiety/panic attacks until they hit me. Not it seems like just about everyone I talk to has dealt with them on some level

Great advice so far. Just don't forget to keep an eye on the beer consumption, don't want to tip the scales towards self medicating...not a good road to go down. Definitely talk to a psychologist, it's sure to help.

I've had them on and off for years. Basically since 6th grade. It took a LONG time to decide that I should talk to my doctor. After a couple of different drugs, I ended having great luck with Wellbutrin. It' really took the edge off. I really just needed to experience life and get past the triggers. I've been off that drug for many years now. Along the way I found out that:

Sleep is very important
Eating a decent diet is very important (eat a little even if you really don't feel like eating)
Do stuff. Don't sit around letting your thoughts control you.
If necessary, take some medication to allow you to function.
Get solid advice from a professional on how you can help yourself control your fears.
Cut way back on caffeine.

Also, for me, beer has actually made me more relaxed. The hobby is fun and a beer a day seems to be doing great things for my health.

Recently a family member has also been struggling with anxiety and they have seen a great doctor who has explained several theories and given some very interesting exercises that can help with the "Fight or flight" response our bodies produce to help us survive.

Just beware the doctor who only wants to give a prescription and not deal with the root cause. Drugs are great but only if used smartly and as necessary. It's best to try and figure out how to prevent the reaction, rather than treating the symptom in perpetuity.

Latest posts

Back