Wort Chiller Blowout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chanson16

Reaction score
Brewed a batch last night and went to cool it down by turning on the faucet for the wort chiller. Went back to the garage and as soon as I started looking for leaks my vinyl hose that bridges the chiller and the garden hose exploded!!! Scared the s*** out of me and damn near blew my ear drums. Apparently a kink in the outflow hose built pressure and it had to give. Let's just hope none of the water made it into my boil kettle.

Pretty funny though!

I was brewing when it as -30 outside and we finished one batch and it was a few minutes before the next batch was done and the waste water hose froze outside. When we turned the water back on, it blew the hose off on the outflow side and blew boiling water all over my friend. Lesson learned!!

Lol this just happened to me

Mine blew right at the copper tubing..posted a pic of it under all grain.

My temp was like 9 degrees

Happened to me today, thought I'd share a pic, I am holding up the lower part.
IMG_3029_zps9e21a51a.jpg

I was three beers in and just watched the hose swell up and pop. The whitish tubes are high temp silicon because I noticed swelling before.

I can imagine how loud that was! Mine didn't blow in half and my ears were ringing for two hours. Mine was in my garage so that probably didn't help.

Back