Strong Vinegar Odor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mugsfull

Reaction score
I made a barley wine back in Jan. its been in secondary for seven months or so. So I forgot about it in the corner. I came to it last month with the airlock almost dry. I smelled Vinegar when I smelled the airlock. I assumed I had ruined it and went to dump it.
I poured the first bit into a glass and tasted it. It tasted good. So I set it down, cleaned and refilled the airlock. It's been another month and the vinegar smell is gone.
There are no other signs of infection. I think I'm gonna bottle this. Has anyone else ever experienced a strong vinegar smell?

I think what you're describing is simply that "green beer" smell/taste. The flavors really haven't had time to meld and mellow, so you just get this grainy kind of vinegar like thing going on.

I think what you're describing is simply that "green beer" smell/taste. The flavors really haven't had time to meld and mellow, so you just get this grainy kind of vinegar like thing going on.

I hope so, but this was strong, like malted vinegar. I was gonna use it for fish n chips. I was thinking maybe there was a slight infect that the high alcohol killed off. just guessing.

I would taste it. If it tastes like vinegar, you will know its acetobacter. At that point, I would either dump it, use it as vinegar or preferably pitch brett and stick it in the corner for a few more months. Brett can supposedly clean up acetobacter according to Vinny at Russian River.

If it doesnt taste like vinegar, I would just leave it... It may just be a "green" taste.

I poured the first bit into a glass and tasted it. It tasted good. ?

I would taste it. If it tastes like vinegar, you will know its acetobacter. At that point, I would either dump it, use it as vinegar or preferably pitch brett and stick it in the corner for a few more months. Brett can supposedly clean up acetobacter according to Vinny at Russian River.

If it doesnt taste like vinegar, I would just leave it... It may just be a "green" taste.

He already DID taste it.

Well, at least a year....

I have 4 years left on my 5 year barleywine.

Mugsfull, could you have at some point gotten suckback of some beer into the airlock and THAT is what turned to vinegar?

I'm gonna bottle it and see what happens. I hate to give up on 8 months of waiting!

Back