Babalu

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankw

Reaction score
Babalu is currently in the ICU, on a ventilator and they are treating him for EEE. Test results won't be back for another day or two. He's not doing well right now and could use whatever positive thoughts and prayers you can send his way. If it is EEE and if Jeff makes it, he's in for months of recovery. So please keep Jeff, his wife and his kids in your thoughts and prayers.

Best wishes to Jeff and his family. I hope that everything works out for the best, and if there is anything I can do to assist, even just showing up and mowing the lawn, don't hesitate to ask.

Update:

I brought his wife her laptop and some music for Jeff to listen to, the doctors think it'll be good for him. I actually got a chance to go in and see Jeff. They've got him pretty heavily sedated, so he was not awake. He was fighting a fever and they were cooling him so he was shivering a bit. His color looked good and he looked strong. For some reason I was expecting something much worse.

I hung around and heard the update from the Doctor. They're fairly certain that Jeff has EEE, but they won't know for sure until the test results come back, which will be another couple of days. Until that point they will continue to treat him with a variety of antibiotics for a variety of possible infections. If the tests come back that it is EEE or another viral infection they will discontinue most of the antibiotics and Jeff's body will fight the infection. They will assist him in any way they can, but there is no treatment for EEE. They will work to keep his temperature normal and keep the brain swelling to minimum. And generally try and prevent any secondary damage to his brain. Jeff's a strong guy and in otherwise good health. If anyone can fight this thing, Jeff can. If it somehow turns out to be something they can treat with antibiotics, they will focus on that specific infection and treat it appropriately.

Today we had some positive bits of news. The swelling in Jeff's brain is less than expected. He has not had a seizure in well over 24 hours and because of this they removed the brain scan wires from his head and didn't need to insert a plug in his skull to monitor his brain swelling. His white blood cell count is improving and his temperature is currently back to normal. And while they are assisting his breathing, he is initiating each breath, they're just making it easier for him.

Is this time to run out and celebrate? Definitely not. But we had some forward progress today. Today there is room for hope.

I will try and keep everyone updated.

Frank, thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear any positives, and you listed several. Hopefully there are no setbacks and he continues to make progress to full recovery.

Update: 8/25/2010

I wasn't able to get to the hospital today, but we've got some more positive news. Jeff's white blood cell count is down into the normal range. The results off his CT scan show that his brain swelling has not increased and may have actually decreased slightly.

He underwent a battery of tests when he was first admitted, these tests are to determine what infection he actually has. The results of these test will continue to trickle in over the next few days. The results of some test have shown that was he has is not bacterial. So they will start to back off on the antibiotics and will continue with the antiviral drugs. Some members of the team that are treating him are actually backing away from the EEE diagnosis and leaning to it being a strain of meningitis. If this is true, comparatively speaking, this would be great. Ultimately the EEE test is the only thing that can eliminate the EEE diagnosis.

His temperature has been running pretty close to normal (around 99) over the 30 hours or so. As part of the management of his body temperature, they've got a cooling vest on him. They've also been working to manage shivering. Shivering apparently requires a lot of physical and mental energy. So, they are going to remove the cooling vest and see how he reacts.

Again, he's not out of the woods yet, but we'll definitely take all the positive news we can get.

Thanks for the update, Frank. I'm glad things are getting a little better. I'll continue sending positive vibes to all of you.

Update: 8/26/2010

Jeff had an OK day. CT Scan showed the brain swelling is the same as the previous test. They've got his shivering under control and his temperature is normal, but they kept the cooling vest on. They also discontinued one of his sedatives.

Every 6 hours or so, they back off on his sedatives and test is body's reaction. Essentially they bring him somewhat out of it and pinch him to see if he reacts. Usually he'll move his arm or something similar. Today, he didn't focus on anything, but he opened his eyes. It seems a bit dangerous for the nurse, if you ask me. I don't think I'd want to be the one to pinch Jeff to try and get a reaction out of him.

That's all I know at this time.

I moved this to General Chit Chat but rest assured that the link will re-direct for a month from General Beer.

Get that bastard healthy by football season dammit!

Give 'em hell Babalu

I think any nurse tending someone in that position would be glad to take whatever he dishes out. But just for kicks, can we get PTN there to do the pinching?

My prayers and thoughts are added.

Give 'em hell Babalu

I think any nurse tending someone in that position would be glad to take whatever he dishes out. But just for kicks, can we get PTN there to do the pinching?

My prayers and thoughts are added.

I'd pay to see Paul do the pinching.

Apparently the EEE test is being conducted by the state lab. New word is it could take a total of 10 -14 days.

I'd pay to see Paul do the pinching.

I don't take checks. Besides I got WAY better ways of doing a 'sedation vacation' than pinching.

I'm thinking that going over there and pouring a MGD into his IV bag would get Babalu upright and out the door in a New York minute. OTOH, the thought of him hotfooting it down Charles Street with his hairy arse hanging out of a johnny gives me the willies, and I'm used to those sorts of sights.

PTN

Well, it seems that a state run lab that takes two weeks, compared to a private lab that can do it in a few days, would prove my point.

My mother is a microbiologist, I'll ask her how long it takes to determine whether it's the dreaded EEE or not.

OK guys, keep it cool. Level heads here. I know we're all on edge regarding Babalu's condition. Also, I'm sure we're all used to, or have heard about, growing brewing yeast cultures in a few days.

Still hoping for the big hairy arsed guy's recovery.

If he's at one of the hospitals in Brigham Circle in Boston, and he needs anything, PM me since I don't live far from the hospitals and my girlfriend works around there.

We could get something, drop something off, etc...

Update: 8/27/2010

The EEE test came back positive. They haven't done a CT scan today, so no report on his brain swelling. His temperature remains normal. The doctors did comment that he's over the more dangerous stage, meaning that the infection is unlikely to kill him at this point. What remains to be seen is what damage, if any, the infection has caused to his brain. Keep the prayers and positive thoughts coming his way.

Update: 8/27/2010

The EEE test came back positive. They haven't done a CT scan today, so no report on his brain swelling. His temperature remains normal. The doctors did comment that he's over the more dangerous stage, meaning that the infection is unlikely to kill him at this point. What remains to be seen is what damage, if any, the infection has caused to his brain. Keep the prayers and positive thoughts coming his way.

Oh, I'm so glad that he's doing better even though the diagnosis of EEE is even scarier.

Do me a big favor? Kiss him on the lips, and tell him it's from me? Thanks!

Can I just kiss you on the lips and shake his hand instead?

Went over after work this morning and saw him for a little bit before they ushered me out of the room. Nothing more to add to what Frank said. Having a confirmed diagnosis is at least that, a confirmed diagnosis. Unfortunately there is no miracle antibiotic that takes out EEE, all you can do is give supportive therapy to help him get over the hump and then hope that he has not suffered any permanent damage from the acute event. On the good news front, Babalu is about 6 1/2 feet tall and 300 + pounds. If anyone is strong enough to fight this off its him. Plus, you may not have noticed but he's a little stubborn. We've got a lot going for us here.
Hang in there, Babalu.

PTN

Can I just kiss you on the lips and shake his hand instead?

Went over after work this morning and saw him for a little bit before they ushered me out of the room. Nothing more to add to what Frank said. Having a confirmed diagnosis is at least that, a confirmed diagnosis. Unfortunately there is no miracle antibiotic that takes out EEE, all you can do is give supportive therapy to help him get over the hump and then hope that he has not suffered any permanent damage from the acute event. On the good news front, Babalu is about 6 1/2 feet tall and 300 + pounds. If anyone is strong enough to fight this off its him. Plus, you may not have noticed but he's a little stubborn. We've got a lot going for us here.
Hang in there, Babalu.

PTN

did you pinch him????

extra karma heading his way...

I'll give you a thousand dollars in cash if you can give me the name of one lab that can confirm a EEE assay in "a few days." I'll make it back in a month when I buy stock their stock. Don't talk **** about something you know **** about.

You're right, I know **** about EEE, but in my experience, anything run by the government will be slower than something privately run. I did talk to my mother, who works for a government run lab, and she said that it's not cost effective to run individual tests. If they ran the tests on an individual basis, it would be much quicker, but where she works, they'll run them in batches. Her lab may even be the one that did the tests - she won't know, since she never sees any names, it's just bar codes now.

She also said that EEE is a viral infection, and there isn't a need to "incubate the culture", since viruses don't grow the same way as bacteria. I didn't understand much of what she said about that, but from what I gather, the tests that they do for a virus is quicker than for a bacterial infection.

Ok, this is so :off:

Hopefully, Jeff will come through 100%. It sounds like he caught it early enough.

Back