Last Work Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
I am not sure how i am going to pass the time today.

The boss has his normal day off today, I get to work and the people here have picked up breakfast from a local cafe and are obviously looking forward to a day of slacking.

I think i will sip some coffee for about an hour and a half, then take a reallllllyyyyyy long lunch and what do you know, its time to go home and get ready for the holidays.

Dang, big problem with retirement, you never get a day off. Is it safe to go back in the stores Tuesday or should I wait until after the New Year?

NOT SAFE the day after Christmas :eek:. I think the 26th is the busiest shopping/return day of the year rivaling the day after Turkey day.

26 = a DEFINITE bad day to shop.

Hmmm. Weeks of killing myself here at work has apparently paid off. With a little elbow grease this morning I might actually be walking out the door before noon and not return til Tuesday morning. :rockin:

And someone brought in biscuits and gravy for breakfast as well. :cross:

Ize

The 26th of Dec. is HORRIBLE in the stores!
When I worked retail I would volunteer to work Christmas Eve, whcih was usually dead, just so I could have off on the 26th.
I worked in the frame shop in a craft store, and got stuck working that day once. The seasonal Christmas stuff would be discounted, and when the shelves ran out we wouldn't restock them, we would just pull out boxes of the merchandise and people would take the stuff from the boxes while we were still carrying/pulling them to shelf.

Do not go the day after christmas unless you like getting bludgeoned in the ass. That is the feeling you will get messing with those crowds of people.

I too have positioned myself very nicely to get out of here around noon and not return until tuesday.

David_42, i was told by a retired friend of mine that he only knows what day it is by counting the days it has been since the big paper came(sunday). I would tell you to wait 4 days after the big paper comes to go to the stores.

I live 1.5 miles from one of the largest malls in America (Woodfield Mall). It's been BRUTAL trying to get home this week. My exit is the exit to the mall.

I too am taking off all of next week, and when I return I'm giving my 2 weeks notice. Talk about lack of motivation! At our department meeting yesterday I kept chuckling to myself... "That's not going to happen, and that's not going to happen" when projects were discussed.

I'm out until Jan 2nd.
We're driving up to Mass. to visit the inlaws next week. Looking forward to sampling some good NE microbrew.
Right now I think I'll do a "bird" and up my post count by replying to every thread on the board.

BOSTONBREWIN' said:
I'm out until Jan 2nd.
We're driving up to Mass. to visit the inlaws next week. Looking forward to sampling some good NE microbrew.
Right now I think I'll do a "bird" and up my post count by replying to every thread on the board.

I haven't said ANYTHING in this thread until now... :rolleyes:

lol@bird

today is a great day. just got finished watching Riddick, then I have Blad and Training Day to finish teh day up

keep paying those taxes boys!!!

Cheesefood said:
I live 1.5 miles from one of the largest malls in America (Woodfield Mall). It's been BRUTAL trying to get home this week. My exit is the exit to the mall.

I too am taking off all of next week, and when I return I'm giving my 2 weeks notice. Talk about lack of motivation! At our department meeting yesterday I kept chuckling to myself... "That's not going to happen, and that's not going to happen" when projects were discussed.

my exit is near the large suburban mall where i live, and i've been getting off at the exit before it, taking the backroads to my house...

bah humbug!

My wife and her friend have gone out shopping the day after christmas for the last 3 years looking for those great deals. It is true, you can get some awesome deals but no savings is worth that crap.

Then they have the balls (or fun bags/naughty pillows) to come back and complain on how nuts and rude everyone is. Hey, they're part of the problem but I keep my mouth shut.

if you have enough home brew while they are gone all you will hear is the sound that charlie browns teachers made when they talked.

Reverend JC said:
if you have enough home brew while they are gone all you will hear is the sound that charlie browns teachers made when they talked.

That's usually all I hear anyway. :D

Ize

well, i made it home. I am eating a Jimmy Johns sandwich (chain sub shop) and drinking a redhook winter ale(it was closest to front of fridge).

All is good here.

Reverend JC said:

LOL that sounds like my "filtered" hearing: Blah, blah, blah, BEER! blah blah blah, SEX, blah blah BEER....... (at least that's what my wife says I hear....)

BTW you guys gotta move to the sticks. No battling mall traffic or anything like that on the way home.:)

Reverend JC said:
well, i made it home. I am eating a Jimmy Johns sandwich (chain sub shop) and drinking a redhook winter ale(it was closest to front of fridge).

All is good here.

Jimmy John's is da bomb. I love the Vito with some vinegar chips and a chocolate chip cookie. Mmmmm.

Cheesefood said:
Jimmy John's is da bomb. I love the Vito with some vinegar chips and a chocolate chip cookie. Mmmmm.

Big John w/extra mayo tyvm.

Wow, now I'm hungry. :cross:

Ize

EDIT: You know, now that I look at that post it just doesn't look right... Maybe I'll drink on it. Ok, I KNOW I'll drink on it....

ablrbrau said:
BTW you guys gotta move to the sticks. No battling mall traffic or anything like that on the way home.:)

One word response on that: DIALUP :p

Part of the reason there are those awesome deals after Christmas is gift cards. Most chains sell them any time, but they're only counted as income when they are redeemed. This means, they REALLY want you to spend that gift card in the last week of the year.

So what I'm saying is, I'm ramlibing and durnk so there!

ablrbrau said:
Yeah you got me there........I'll take the trade-off, though:)

Sprint used to offer a satellite internet connection but it never took off. I know there are some others out there too but don't think they're cheap. One of our field sales guys in boonies NY ended up getting some service he's happy about.

Back