Restoring 3-Tier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonpile

Reaction score
Ok, so some of you may know I got an awesome buy off Craig's list a while back. Part of it is a three tier stand with three keggles. Really pretty cool.

Here's some pix: http://picasaweb.google.com/justin.cann/3Tier

Now I was trying to sell the stand alone for a while b/c I didn't really have anywhere to put it that wasn't outside and I've been brewing at a friends house and we already have a set up up there.

Anyway, so I convinced SWMBO to let me keep it, by giving it a nice home behind my shed, which, unfortunately is where it has to stay.

So my project goals are this:

1) Refinish the stand to prevent further rusting and in a way that can handle outside storage.

2) optimize the storage, perhaps by a cover or small roof for it to sit under.

3) Consider replacing the caster wheels with something that will allow me to move it by myself on my lawn. I'm thinking skids.

4) Eventually replace (read upgrade) some or all of the burners.

5) Replace hoses

6) Rebuild tank shelf

My questions then, by goal:

1) How should I refinish this. Sand? Wire brush? I have drills and an angle grinder, are there attachments for those that would help? Would sandblasting be possible/helpful? Because I know some people. How should I paint it? Is there paint that handles being on hot metal better?

2) I'm thinking of making some kind of fitted cover. I'm going to start by cutting a tarp up and duct taping it. Then I could get sunbrella scraps from boat types I know. Is either cover going to keep it from rusting more, or are they just going to trap moisture and make it worse?

3) I might be able to live with the caster wheels, but I think that having them on my lawn is ruining them anyway. I essentially am dragging the thing around on wheels that are barely rolling. I think I'll have to just get skids welded on instead? Any thoughts on how to go about this?

4) Replacing the burners. This is down the line, so I haven't though much about it. Don't think it'll be a huge project, but any advice is welcome.

5) Replace hoses: The black hoses as they are are cracked on the surface. I know I'm going to eventually replace the hoses, but should I even use them the way they are? How do I know if they're too far gone? I'm pretty sure they'll work, just not sure for how much longer.

6) Probably just going to go with plywood here. Any better ideas?

Anyway, I know that's a lot to read and ponder. So thanks if you got this far!

1) sandblasting would be best or you could use a wire wheel. If you go wire wheel, wear saftey equipment wires shed and imbed in flesh. for paint use header paint(automotive) or use B-B-Cue paint.
2)provide space and don't wrap it tight, leave it open at the bottom to allow moisture to evaporate
3) How about inflatable hand cart(dolly) tires. the can be had on sale for $5 ea at harbor freight.
4)check out these, http://www.agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn=30295&cn=5400001&bhcd2=1219636424
they are powerful and cheap.
5) see above link, but you don't need 3 regulators. I run 3 of those burners off 1 Hi pressure reg, using needle valves for each burner.
6) yep

1) There are some thick (1/2 inch) blue-colored very abrasive discs sold at HD that I found to work extremely well for removing rust. They'll also remove a substantial amount of metal if you aren't careful. I also tried a brass wire wheel, which worked a lot better in tight spots and to clean up welds. And I can attest from experience that you want to wear a full face shield, gloves, long sleeves and long pants, essentially leaving no skin exposed, when using a wire wheel.
2) Sunbrella would be good. So would Tyvek covers like the ones made by Koverroos, but I'd make sure there were absolutely no sharp edges anywhere if you go with either of these fabrics.
3) Pour a small concrete slab for it.

All good ideas, thanks! I'm leaning toward the wire brush or discs vs sandblasting just 'cause it would mean I wouldn't have to move it and could do it on my own schedule, but I'll have to get a face shield or borrow one from my stepfather (he has one of just about every tool!).

The dolly wheels are a great idea! I'd pour a base for it, except the only place I'd want to give up in my yard is where it's sitting now, which is in the small space between my shed and fence, and is not a place I'd want to brew. It's up on four pavers though.

Check it out, I'd have an ATTT: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97183 (Guess the acronym!)

Header paint. That's what I was trying to remember. Gonna have to research that.

The Koverroos look kind of interesting. I might have to try my hand at making my own knock off.

I vote for sandblasting and powdercoating. More money, but you can't beat the longevity. Plus, it's very tough to get to all the corners with a wire brush or abrasive wheel.

Build the tank shelf out of metal. either sheet steel or aluminum, or use some more angle to construct a "seat for the tank that would prevent it from sliding out of place.

The Koverroos look kind of interesting. I might have to try my hand at making my own knock off.

I'm thinking of buying a 120 inch by 10 yard piece of Tyvek 1460, and make my own cover. It can be sewn with a regular sewing machine.

I can't guess what that acronym you mentioned stands for.

I used silver high temp barbeque pit paint on my stand, and I don't recommend it. It isn't very durable. Header paint might be the way to go. Maybe powdercoat if it can stand the high heat near the burners. But I'm quite sure it'll be very expensive to have a big stand like that powdercoated. That's why I'm looking for other options.

Back