Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1 full standard packet of dried yeast, like montrachete, can be used in a 1 gallon batch with no ill effects. You don't need that whole packet of yeast but it won't hurt at all if you dump the whole thing in. I do all the time for my 1 gallon batches of wine.

I too have pitched whole packets of yeast into 1 gal ferments of Meads, Ales etc with no apparent ill effects. Some of the meads were undrinkable, but I think that had less to do with the yeast and more to do with inexperience.

That said, I recently made an experimental 1 gal batch of "Cranberry Wine". Basically fermented cranberry juice. I rehydrated ~ 1/2 packet of Montrachet for it, and put the leftover yeast in the fridge sealed in a Ziplock bag. About a month later, I got around to making a second batch of the same stuff, and used the remaining Montrachet. It was fine.

I use a full packet of Montrachet, EC-1118 or RC-212 in Apfelwein whether I make 3, 4 or 5 gallons (depends on which carboy is available) and notice no problems.

Most dry yeasts are so cheap, it doesn't matter if you even throw out the rest of the packet, and most say they are good for 10 gallon batches anyway, so I am over-pitching with the usual 1 packet to 3-5 gallons anyway.

Bottled a batch yesterday (my first time bottling, so I accidentally stirred up the yeast a bit before getting a flow going, but I'm not too concerned about it; I generally pour anything I drink anyway, and a little yeast won't hurt me!). Now that my secondary was free again, I racked my previous batch (the one I mentioned here as being stuck a couple weeks ago) and inoculated with EC-1118 to try and restart it; the original ferment was Montrachet.

It's been less than twenty minutes since I added the yeast, and the airlock is already starting to pop; it would seem the EC-1118 is happy.

I must have used a bad batch of something then. It was foul, muddy, and gave me a belly ache. It wasn't apfelwein though, that could explain it. I won't bother doing that again, ever. It seems I'm alone in this thought though.

I bottled my apfelwein on Saturday and made one plastic bottle as my carbonation tester. It felt nearly rock solid so I tested a 12 oz bottle. It is still as can be. I'm kind of bummed. Hoping it does whatever it wants to do in the next few days.

I must have used a bad batch of something then. It was foul, muddy, and gave me a belly ache. It wasn't apfelwein though, that could explain it. I won't bother doing that again, ever. It seems I'm alone in this thought though.

I bottled my apfelwein on Saturday and made one plastic bottle as my carbonation tester. It felt nearly rock solid so I tested a 12 oz bottle. It is still as can be. I'm kind of bummed. Hoping it does whatever it wants to do in the next few days.

Hmmm... Not sure what to say about your test bottle, but I have never had Apfelwein carb up sufficiently until at least 10 days post bottling... Give it time...but I can see the problem if you are planning to pasteurize for a sweeter product..

Some wines can take a long time to fully bottle carb. Especially if you're comparing bottle carbing to beer brews. The CO2 gases given off in the bottle will build up pressure inside the bottle and fill the little airspace at the top. At a certain point, the gases will have no where else to go but down into the wine and that's where you start to get the carbonation into your wine.

Basically, you can have a plastic bottle feel hard and carbed with pressure but it has not yet had time to "mingle" back down into the wine just yet. At least, that's how I understand it.

Give it some time :mug:

Give it some time :mug:

And that is my main flaw with this hobby, patience, I have none. I've got a tripel in secondary I am just itching to keg up but I know, if I give it just a little more time it'll be better for it. Then once I keg it, I know, if I can just wait at least a week to try it, rather than starting to draw "samples" before it's even carbonated much less somewhat conditioned, I'll get much better beer for it.

First world problems I guess :)

Has anyone tried with the main sugars? Brown, Corn, Pure? Any noticeable differences?

My first batch I did with dark brown sugar and it gave it a maple back flavor, wasn't bad at all!

But yeah, any other noticeable differences?

Has anyone tried with the main sugars? Brown, Corn, Pure? Any noticeable differences?

My first batch I did with dark brown sugar and it gave it a maple back flavor, wasn't bad at all!

I used corn sugar for mine (dextrose) which I believe is what the OP recipe calls for

I usually use 50:50 Dextrose and Brown. Have used LIGHT and DARK brown, but didn't really notice much difference in taste. Haven't made a 100% brown sugar batch yet. Also not much difference between the 100% Dextrose and 50:50 Brown Sugar dextrose blend other than MAYBE a slight color difference.

How was the flavor, how was the taste? Did you feel it was crisp, sweet, tart?

Still in the better bottle but the samples taste great. not tart, kinda dry from the wine yeast obviously but tastes very good! maybe someone else who has made the OP recipe can help with further tasting notes. I would suggest trying it the first time with the exact OP recipe

I plan on bottling mine tomorrow. I've never carbed in bottles before but I'm going to this time. I need some direction. I know I draw a sample, add the priming sugar and then bottle it but if I can't keep it all cold, how do I keep the bottles from over carbing and possibly exploding? Or is that not an issue?

I plan on bottling mine tomorrow. I've never carbed in bottles before but I'm going to this time. I need some direction. I know I draw a sample, add the priming sugar and then bottle it but if I can't keep it all cold, how do I keep the bottles from over carbing and possibly exploding? Or is that not an issue?

Are you planning to only add enough sugar to bottle carb or are you sweetening as well?

If you're only adding enough to carb don't worry about bottle bombs. If you're sweetening as well you'll want to follow the steps in the pasteurization sticky in the cider forum.

While everyone in this thread seems to feel that apfelwein is at its best after aging, I seriously doubt my first bottled batch is going to survive long enough for me to find out, because it's already a fantastic drink. Maybe if I get drunk enough and hide a bottle...

While everyone in this thread seems to feel that apfelwein is at its best after aging, I seriously doubt my first bottled batch is going to survive long enough for me to find out, because it's already a fantastic drink. Maybe if I get drunk enough and hide a bottle...
That's why you are supposed to start the second batch after a couple of weeks. :D I think just about everybody drinks the first batch before it can age.

Actually, the batch I ended up bottling WAS my second batch after a couple of weeks, haha. My first batch was a stuck fermentation (which I THINK is restarted and finishing fermentation right now). I'm already lining up my third; found apple juice on sale for about a dollar a gallon and I'll probably get it all in the fermenter tomorrow.

Actually, the batch I ended up bottling WAS my second batch after a couple of weeks, haha. My first batch was a stuck fermentation (which I THINK is restarted and finishing fermentation right now). I'm already lining up my third; found apple juice on sale for about a dollar a gallon and I'll probably get it all in the fermenter tomorrow.
Only your third? You need to line up your fourth too. :) It's the right time of year. You should be able to find some actual commercial apple cider. It's a bit different then the stuff from juice. IMO, it's actually better. More rounded flavor, though usually cloudy.

I'm drinking my first batch from actual cider this year now with the second fermenting on the yeast cake... I need to get more commercial cider.

Wulvaine said:

Just bottled my first batch this morning. Oh man, it's pretty good already. We'll see how long it lasts.

TexasWine said:
Are you planning to only add enough sugar to bottle carb or are you sweetening as well? If you're only adding enough to carb don't worry about bottle bombs. If you're sweetening as well you'll want to follow the steps in the pasteurization sticky in the cider forum.
I don't think I'll sweeten it. I just want to carb it up a bit. For a 5 gallon batch is 5oz of priming sugar enough?

I did a batch with 5 gallons juice with 8 oz. of store-bought honey per gallon. Fermented out very dry, rather thin and watery, but still is tasty and packs a punch. It's 6 months old now and very smooth and apple-y. Served dry and cold it goes down like water...rather dangerously.:tank:

I have another batch in secondary with 6 gallons juice and 2 lbs of Domino light brown sugar. Not quite EdWort's sugar ratio but I wanted to fully utilize my wine fermenter. I just racked it to secondary after 5 weeks in primary - looks and smells good. It's quite dark but very clear. I think I am going to let it clear and bottle carbonate in beer bottles.

Has anyone ever bottled it back in to the apple juice bottles you used in this recipe?

Is it bad to have the lights on and stare at the airlock bubbling up for extended periods of time?

Anyone use plastic carboys? If so, how'd you clean it after you were done? Did it leave any residual aromas on the plastic?

Has anyone made a new batch by dumping apple juice and the sugar in to the trub- reusing the yeast/bottle without cleaning? Any thoughts or comments? How'd it come out?

I just bottle what I call my Crapfelwein (3.5 gallons of apple juice and 2 gallons of cranberry juice). I carbed it with 5oz of dextrose which I hope is enough. I out some in a soda bottle to see when it gets fully carbed. Any idea how long it usually takes to carb? Is it better to have it in the fridge or out?

I just bottle what I call my Crapfelwein (3.5 gallons of apple juice and 2 gallons of cranberry juice). I carbed it with 5oz of dextrose which I hope is enough. I out some in a soda bottle to see when it gets fully carbed. Any idea how long it usually takes to carb? Is it better to have it in the fridge or out?

To answer your last Q, don't put it in the fridge. Doing so will cause the yeast to go dormant for the most part and you'll be waiting for a LONG time for it to carbonate, if it ever does at all.

about to bottle! carbing with 4.20 oz dextrose. I will say the next batch will not be carbed cuz this sample is awesome!

Has anyone ever bottled it back in to the apple juice bottles you used in this recipe?

Is it bad to have the lights on and stare at the airlock bubbling up for extended periods of time?

Anyone use plastic carboys? If so, how'd you clean it after you were done? Did it leave any residual aromas on the plastic?

Has anyone made a new batch by dumping apple juice and the sugar in to the trub- reusing the yeast/bottle without cleaning? Any thoughts or comments? How'd it come out?
I've put it back in the plastic juice jugs a couple of times. It's fine for short term storage, but you get a cardboard like flavor after a few months.

No, nothing wrong with staring at your carboy. Just don't start singing to it, or the neighbors might call the cops...

I use plastic fermentation buckets. It does leave some aroma behind. You can get rid of most of that by scrubbing them down with baking soda.

I've got a batch I pitched onto the yeast cake going now. This is a fairly fresh yeast cake, the batch only stayed in primary for two weeks. When I transferred it off I pitched the new batch on top of the yeast cake. I probably wouldn't do that a second time. I'd be concerned about it starting to taste like soy sauce. Wine does that sometimes if you leave it on the yeast to long.

Good to know, thanks. Anyone else know how long I should wait for this to carb?
It varies massively. Anywhere from about three days to several months. Suspended yeast cells in the liquid, temperature, yeast strain, etc... They all change things. It's best to fill a plastic soda bottle when you do the rest. When that is hard to the touch, your bottles should be carbed.

I've put it back in the plastic juice jugs a couple of times. It's fine for short term storage, but you get a cardboard like flavor after a few months.

No, nothing wrong with staring at your carboy. Just don't start singing to it, or the neighbors might call the cops...

I use plastic fermentation buckets. It does leave some aroma behind. You can get rid of most of that by scrubbing them down with baking soda.

I've got a batch I pitched onto the yeast cake going now. This is a fairly fresh yeast cake, the batch only stayed in primary for two weeks. When I transferred it off I pitched the new batch on top of the yeast cake. I probably wouldn't do that a second time. I'd be concerned about it starting to taste like soy sauce. Wine does that sometimes if you leave it on the yeast to long.

It varies massively. Anywhere from about three days to several months. Suspended yeast cells in the liquid, temperature, yeast strain, etc... They all change things. It's best to fill a plastic soda bottle when you do the rest. When that is hard to the touch, your bottles should be carbed.

Thanks for all of your input.

The plastic bottle as a test bottle is a good idea. I know you are vastly more knowledgable than I am and I'm sure you meant this: when the plastic bottle gets hard, give it at least a week to let the CO2 dissolve in to the liquid.

I will be making another batch of this tomorrow! I wanna add cinnamon sticks as well. Since I dont have individual pound bags of dextrose, I was thinking I should boil 1 gallon with the 2 lbs dextrose and cinnamon sticks as well. How many sticks should I add for a 5 gallon batch? Am i correct that I should cool the boiled juice/sugar/sticks and add it all in? Thanks in advance

2013-11-05 13.36.00.jpg

finsfan said:
I will be making another batch of this tomorrow! I wanna add cinnamon sticks as well. Since I dont have individual pound bags of dextrose, I was thinking I should boil 1 gallon with the 2 lbs dextrose and cinnamon sticks as well. How many sticks should I add for a 5 gallon batch? Am i correct that I should cool the boiled juice/sugar/sticks and add it all in? Thanks in advance
No need to boil the sugar, just mix it in. I used 1 cinnamon stick on this last batch I made just to give it a hint of the flavor.

I didnt boil the first time but just want to make sure there is no way of infection

Last time I just took one of the gallons of juice and warmed it up on the stove (hot but not boiling), took it off the heat and added the sugar to it. Dissolved, then dumped it into the fermenter with the remaining 4 gallons of juice (slightly chilled from the fridge). Perfect yeast pitch temperature when it was all done and the sugar was sanitized and dissolved.

Thinking about getting some Apfel in my pipeline after reading some of this beguiling thread, quick Q though. I love the idea that some have described of carbonating with 8ish oz dextrose for a champagne-like experience, but will normal beer-bottling procedures contain that level of pressure? Or are people who've tried that using corks and cages?

I'm really tired, so if I'm being overly blunt please beer with me.
Thanks for all of your input.

The plastic bottle as a test bottle is a good idea. I know you are vastly more knowledgable than I am and I'm sure you meant this: when the plastic bottle gets hard, give it at least a week to let the CO2 dissolve in to the liquid.
No I didn't. You are naturally carbing, not force carbing. Once you have full pressure in the bottle, without shaking it up beforehand, you're done. If you still have sugar in the solution and you let it go longer it's going to over carb.

You have to let it sit with pressure on it when you force carb because your co2 absorption in the liquid is limited by the surface area exposed to the gas. When you produce co2 in the liquid the co2 is immediately absorbed as it's already surrounded by the liquid. That effectively gives you a massive surface area for co2 gas exchange. In fact, I think the co2 actually goes directly into solution in the liquid as it's not in a gaseous environment when it's produced.

No need to boil the sugar, just mix it in. I used 1 cinnamon stick on this last batch I made just to give it a hint of the flavor.
This. Sugar is a basically a desert. The sugar is so hydroscopic it will actually pull water out of most things that might land in it. That's usually fatal. So, it's pretty sanitary on its own. Provided you didn't drop a big glop of something nasty in it.

Likewise the juice. It's been pasteurized so nothing will grow in it while it's in the bottle. So, it's also already sanitary. In fact, it might actually be sterile.

I wouldn't do more then two cinnamon stick in a 5 gallon batch. Once you start getting alcohol, the flavor will extract fairly efficiently. It will also continue to extract for about three months. Sometimes five, if you have really good cinnamon sticks. So, it's usually a good idea to take the cinnamon sticks out after a couple of weeks. You'll get a faster flavor extraction if you put them in secondary. Primary washes some of the cinnamon flavor out. Of course, you can leave them in longer, but why?

I pasteurized my bottles at 160F for 20 minutes. I notice that they are noticeably cloudy. There is a stark difference between a few bottles I left cold and didn't pasteurize and so much so, I'd mistake the pasteurized bottles as a heavily unfiltered hefe beer.

I left a pasteurized bottle in the fridge overnight for 24 hours and it hasn't settled out and cleared. Should it?

I'm really tired, so if I'm being overly blunt please beer with me.
No I didn't. You are naturally carbing, not force carbing. Once you have full pressure in the bottle, without shaking it up beforehand, you're done. If you still have sugar in the solution and you let it go longer it's going to over carb.

You have to let it sit with pressure on it when you force carb because your co2 absorption in the liquid is limited by the surface area exposed to the gas. When you produce co2 in the liquid the co2 is immediately absorbed as it's already surrounded by the liquid. That effectively gives you a massive surface area for co2 gas exchange. In fact, I think the co2 actually goes directly into solution in the liquid as it's not in a gaseous environment when it's produced.

thanks for that explanation. i'm still on my first batch of mr. beer, so i'm taking the experience from that and applying it to my other batches. from what people have been saying on the mr. beer thread is that it takes 2+ weeks for the beer to carb (using the table sugar in the bottle method). people have stated that even though the plastic bottles felt rigid due to inside pressure, when they cracked one open, the beer was still flat so it was suggested that even though the bottles felt pressurized, it didn't mean the beer was carbed; so let it carb for longer was what was prescribed.
i'm definitely not trying to argue with you, just trying to understand the science behind it and not screw up my own batch.

also, i've read conflicting reports of leaving it on the yeast cake may result in off flavors so putting it in a secondary is advised. what's your take?

iluvmysh said:
thanks for that explanation. i'm still on my first batch of mr. beer, so i'm taking the experience from that and applying it to my other batches. from what people have been saying on the mr. beer thread is that it takes 2+ weeks for the beer to carb (using the table sugar in the bottle method). people have stated that even though the plastic bottles felt rigid due to inside pressure, when they cracked one open, the beer was still flat so it was suggested that even though the bottles felt pressurized, it didn't mean the beer was carbed; so let it carb for longer was what was prescribed. i'm definitely not trying to argue with you, just trying to understand the science behind it and not screw up my own batch. also, i've read conflicting reports of leaving it on the yeast cake may result in off flavors so putting it in a secondary is advised. what's your take?

The good thing about apfelwein is that its good still or carbed so if you pop one open and it's not carbed up yet you can still enjoy it.

I've heard people talk about leaving this stuff in primary for 6 months or so without a problem. I've only ever left mine for 2-3 months and it's always great.

The good thing about apfelwein is that its good still or carbed so if you pop one open and it's not carbed up yet you can still enjoy it.

I've heard people talk about leaving this stuff in primary for 6 months or so without a problem. I've only ever left mine for 2-3 months and it's always great.

i definitely want the apfelwein to "hit its stride", but i don't want to get any off flavors for it being on the yeast cake too long as i've been advised by the manager of my LHBS.

Back