I need a new beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Animalmutha

Reaction score
I am in search of solid representations of the following styles that are available in New England - the part of New England that is not Boston:

Kölsch
Roggenbier
Saison
Traditional Bock
Unblended Lambic

I have not been a fan of fruit lambic so far, but I will take suggestions.

I have not had roggenbier or unblended lambic. I don't believe I have had above average representations of the others.

After 5 years of nailing down my flavors - for my beer I am in search for new flavors to add to my brew process for a new beer, but I want to make sure I get the right flavors.
Thank you.

I have a co worker that took a trip to Maine a few months ago and was raving about Jack D'Or Saison. I looked into it and it gets great reviews but it doesn't to be a traditional European saison if that's what ur looking for. That is brewed by Pretty Things Beer and Ale and I believe they are in Cambridge, Mass.

Kölsch - Reissdorf is a great classic example that's generally widely available. BBC's gold spike is a nice local one. Sunner's & maybe Victory's Karnival or GI's Summertime might be your other best bets.

Saison - Dupont is obv the most notable, but theres also Ommegang Hennepin that should be as easily found. Oxbow in ME makes some great american ones, but not sure where they distribute to. Blvd Tank 7 & GI Sofie should be around there too, as well as the aforementioned Jack D'or

Unblended Lambic - LambicX is the most common I've seen around here and its great.

Fruit Lambic - the Haanssens & Drie Fonteinen ones probably have the best chances to be found

very rare you'll find examples of traditional bocks or roggenbeirs, let alone good/to style ones.

I believe Ballast Point distributes to NE, so grab a sixer of their Pale Ale (it used to be called Yellowtail Pale ale), as it's a fantastic kolsh. Saison Dupont is easy to find, as is Ommegang Hennepin, which I prefer. They're pretty different, the hennepin has spices in it, Dupont does not. Good lambics of all stripes are very hard to find. I've never seen a roggenbier, ever. You may have to brew that one yourself.

Looks like I may be able to score some of these at the Brew Fest in Hooksett NH this weekend. Thanks for the info.

I'm in CT and there is a fairly new brewery call Two Roads. I don't love all of their beers, but their saison is pretty good. They don't distribute very far yet, but its worth picking up if you come across it.

John

Back