Coil Heated Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reuliss

Reaction score
Has anyone built a coil heated mash tun like the one described here: http://byo.com/component/k2/item/2799-build-a-heated-mash-tun-projects ?

The idea is intriguing, and as a guy who currently mashes in a cooler, this seems lie an intuitive upgrade to my system without going the RIMS or HERMS route. But before I take the plunge, I'm curious if anyone had any positive or negative experiences with a system like this.

I've been throwing the idea around.

In the end, i think i'm putting a herms coil in a new HLT and go that route cause its easy with what's on hand.

My DIY-foo is better with plumbing and gas than electricity (but I've drooled over some electric rigs)

I have done this. It works holding temps, but not so great stepping up to the next mash out temps. Its like putting a heating coil in the mash. Much better to pump water into the coil than worth. No scorching. It is easy to clean the outside of the coil, and nearly impossible to convince me that the inside can be cleaned. I have gone to a no mash out, with 168 to 170 degree spare.

I have done this. It works holding temps, but not so great stepping up to the next mash out temps. Its like putting a heating coil in the mash. Much better to pump water into the coil than worth. No scorching. It is easy to clean the outside of the coil, and nearly impossible to convince me that the inside can be cleaned. I have gone to a no mash out, with 168 to 170 degree spare.

Your raise good points. I just need something simple, compact, affordable. I'm not looking for "bling."

It works holding temps, but not so great stepping up to the next mash out temps.

Would having a smaller volume of water in your HLT make it easier to achieve quicker temp ramping? I like the idea of only water on the inside of the coil sice I had a bad experience with a CFC.

I built a coil in my cooler mash tun and recirculated water from my HLT through coil in cooler as well.
I have found that raising temperature of grain bed is a slow process. Recirculating 200 degree water the grain itself takes a long time to heat up and heat from coil doesn't spread quickly through thick mash 1.25qt/lb but then I didn't stir it either just waited for temp to rise with lid shut.
:mug:

Back