Hydrometer reading temp adjustments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifearnothing0

Reaction score
I went to a random hydro temp calculator , and put in the most ridiculous temperatures to find out how much a reading can change , and even going from near freezing to 159 there is only a few hundreds of a point different in the readings . Is this right ? .. I always thought it would change much more than that

Since we read to the thousandths when taking a reading, yeah, it's significant.

1.050 could be 1.035 or 1.070. Temperature correction is very important.

GotPushrods said:
Since we read to the thousandths when taking a reading, yeah, it's significant.

1.050 could be 1.035 or 1.070. Temperature correction is very important.

What I was referring to was unless your temps are 100f off your hydrometer is only gonna be a few small 0.000's off , no ?

What I was referring to was unless your temps are 100f off your hydrometer is only gonna be a few small 0.000's off , no ?

It will only be off a few thousands, but we're measuring in the hundredths, so it is fairly significant.

If you take a reading at 80*F and get 1.050.... the adjusted value is 1.052.

It's only 2 thousandths... but out of 50 thousandths. That a 4% error, which is worth adjusting for. That error will propagate and make it harder to find system issues later if you're trying to nail down volumes or BeerSmith inputs, for example.

Back