Newbie Mr. Beer questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rave808

Reaction score
Hello I just picked up a Mr. Beer kit to try out before i get into 5 gallon extract brewing and I have a couple of questions.First off i bought the newer kit the one that doesnt use the booster pack in the classic american light recipe kit. The 1st question is can i use a packet of muntons dry yeast that i have for a muntons canned kit that some one gave me instead of the yeast packet that came with the mr. beer kit? If so do i use the whole packet since that was intended for a 5 gallon extract kit . 2nd question how can i boost the alcohol level in my beer ?The kit says it will produce like a 3.7% beer when all done.Would I use a dme and if so how much for the 2 gallon mr. beer kit? 3rd and last question when i bottle i want to use dme instead of corn sugar ,how much would i use for the 2 gallons from the mr. beer kit?Thanx in advance for the help.

Yes you can use your other yeast packet. Look up mrmalty.com to determine how much to pitch based on your particular recipe. Using the whole pack is probably over pitching but shouldn't hurt your beer.

To boost abv, just add more fermentables. Adding dme will do this for you. Be sure to adjust your hop level to keep the brew balanced. Also, with higher abv, you'll want more yeast to work through it. The amount of extract to add depends on how much you want to boost the OG.

Third, priming with dme will work fine. Look up a priming sugar calculator online (I use northern brewer) and fill in your volume, desired carb level or beer type and your beer temp at bottling and it will tell you how much to use.

Hello I just picked up a Mr. Beer kit to try out before i get into 5 gallon extract brewing and I have a couple of questions.First off i bought the newer kit the one that doesnt use the booster pack in the classic american light recipe kit. The 1st question is can i use a packet of muntons dry yeast that i have for a muntons canned kit that some one gave me instead of the yeast packet that came with the mr. beer kit? If so do i use the whole packet since that was intended for a 5 gallon extract kit . 2nd question how can i boost the alcohol level in my beer ?The kit says it will produce like a 3.7% beer when all done.Would I use a dme and if so how much for the 2 gallon mr. beer kit? 3rd and last question when i bottle i want to use dme instead of corn sugar ,how much would i use for the 2 gallons from the mr. beer kit?Thanx in advance for the help.

Rave, I gotta believe you'd be best off using the ingredients that came with the kit and also, following the directions to the letter.

Good luck.

Rick

@f250 why do you suggest this .I heard the yeast that comes with the mr. beer kits is sometimes either old or 1/2 dead .plus i heard dme in priming gives you tighter bubbles more like a nitro beer.

the new kits have newer yeast and also more yeast. for a two gallon batch the provided yeast should be fine.

@f250 why do you suggest this .I heard the yeast that comes with the mr. beer kits is sometimes either old or 1/2 dead .plus i heard dme in priming gives you tighter bubbles more like a nitro beer.

Well, my concern would be that you'd end up with something you didn't want to drink. ;)

Rick

gotcha so the new kit yeast is just fine to use compared to what shipped with the older kits ..this batch i'll stay with the intended abv but i do want to use dme when i prime instead of corn sugar.If i wanted a less carbonated beer then i would use less priming sugar or in this case less dme?also thanx for ALL input you guys are great

Rave, F250 is somewhat right. When first learning, it's really easy to have grand ideas of what you want to do, but that makes it hard to learn if you over do it, and learning is your goal for this Mr. B. kit. I started the same way with Mr. Beer, but held my "creativity" back a bit in order to learn. I added some spices to the American Ale, used brown sugar for the Vienna Lager, and bottled with maple syrup for the Irish Stout so that I could make the beer more "mine" and see how those things behave in beer. You know what an American Ale will taste like if you've ever had Coors or the like, so keep your adjustments simple to see how it affects your brew. That way you can better adjust your recipes to your tastes when you get to that 5 gallon kit (which is half the fun). Focus on practicing the proper technique for the first few too. The technique will be the most frustrating thing to get down pat as far as efficiency goes and it's the most important thing to figure out.

In conclusion, go for trying the DME addition, but keep it to that and some hops for balance for this first batch. Use an online recipe builder to help you see how much of each to add for some guidance. I typically use the Hopville Calculator, though recently it's been freezing on my browser (I think I need to update). Also, try bottling with DME, it wont have residual flavors of other fermentables that some people claim (I liked the maple syrup in my stout, it was a nice, subtle addition), but make sure to measure it out BY WEIGHT!. It's a pain in the ass but the last thing you want is to invest 2 weeks into this to get gushers and a massive, sticky clean-up on some far off, dark closet.

Analysis: Keep it Simple, Stupid (K.I.S.S), keep good notes for later, and have a blast (remember to share with friends, they'll be more likely to help you move when you're serving up such wonderful suds).

I think I speak for everyone here when I say, "Welcome to the world of homebrewing!" Have a great time and browse the site some, you'll be amazed at what you find.

PS. I'd keep that Mr. Beer kit after you switch to 5 gals because you can get two boils going and start doing All Grain (AG) Brewing on a smaller scale to practice. And besides, 70 beers (with some variety) is better than 50. Happy brewing!

oh i forgot one other question when i go to prime my beer can i just mix the right amount of dme or corn sugar right in my fermenter instead of measuring it out into each bottle?

oh i forgot one other question when i go to prime my beer can i just mix the right amount of dme or corn sugar right in my fermenter instead of measuring it out into each bottle?

I did that...gotta stir it real easy though to keep from rounding up all that sludge at the bottom. Not sure how smart it was, but the beer is carbonated, even it it doesnt taste all that good. The wife said it tastes exactly like Coors Light. :D:eek:

If you use sugar of any kind, boil it in a cup of water to dissolve it before putting it in the LBK.

it doesnt take to long to prime each bottle. when done fermenting there will be thick layer ofttub on the bottom and you dont want to stir that up.

I've never boiled my sugar to prime my bottles, honestly, and I have yet to have a batch go south. I'd just add it to each bottle since there are only 8 and you won't really save much on time. Just sanitize the instrument you're measuring with. You can tare a scale with 8 little ramakins to measure each bottle's DME addition. Just make sure that once you cap it you gently mix the beer and DME together.

If you want to measure out your priming sugar for the batch and mix it, you'll need a separate vessel from your fermentor to mix it in to keep your beer clear of the trub (stuff that settled on the bottom). A 5 gal kit usually comes with one. That's when I boil my sugar and mix it in. Remember to sanitize your bottles first though.

Back