Help! Had to stop mid brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob3000

Reaction score
Just got half way through brewing a batch of mild, got the wort up to a boil and before i could add my hops the boiler sprang a leak. i quickly poured the hot wort into a sanitised fermentor and sealed it. I can now add some sealent to my boiler and finish the brew later. The question is how long have i got until it starts going off. Will it sour up with no hops in there? I want to try and do it tomorrow but might not have time. Can I leave it till sunday?

if you can keep the wort cold, you'll be better.

it'll only sour if there is any bacteria left. since there is no hops or alcohol, it's a more inviting environment for bacteria to grow. So how long you can wait will depend on how cool you've kept it, and whether there was much of a bacteria load.

No matter what, you can move forward and brew with it...anything that might be in there will get killed by the brewing process....but if you wait too long, you may have some sour notes to the beer.

I doubt you'll have much of an issue since you got it up to boiling tho.

I didn't chill it at all. i just put it in a bucket, sealed it and left it. Didn't think DMS would be a problem as i'm boiling it again.

Would you guys recommend against sealing it, if it hasn't been sterilized?

I'd say make sure you aerate the wort everyday until you can boil it. Most dangerous stuff (botulism) is anaerobic, and might not get killed by boiling afterward.

But that's really a worst-case scenario.

In the meantime, yes, it might become a fun playground for wild yeasties, but their fun is gonna short, when you boil their a$# up. :mug:

Also, RDWHAHB!

What kind of brew pot are you using that leaks? Are you sure using sealant to fix the leak is the best route?

-throw away leaky brew pot
-buy new bigger and better brew pot
-new brew pot doesn't leak
-?????
-profit

Would you guys recommend against sealing it, if it hasn't been sterilized?

I'd say make sure you aerate the wort everyday until you can boil it. Most dangerous stuff (botulism) is anaerobic, and might not get killed by boiling afterward.

But that's really a worst-case scenario.

In the meantime, yes, it might become a fun playground for wild yeasties, but their fun is gonna short, when you boil their a$# up. :mug:

Also, RDWHAHB!

Well its tasting pretty good at the moment and I'm not dead yet so thats a plus. I think it probably cooled to below 20 in about 12hours then was kept below ten for the rest of the time. Luckly there is a load of roasty chocolate flavour in this beer and i think it will probably cover up a little off flavour. saying that its just finished out and i'm having to resist drinking pints from the fermenter. :)

What kind of brew pot are you using that leaks? Are you sure using sealant to fix the leak is the best route?

-throw away leaky brew pot
-buy new bigger and better brew pot
-new brew pot doesn't leak
-?????
-profit

I'm using a plastic bin with two kettle elements installed. Quite a common set up over here in the UK. But its is a bit dodgy and probably quite dangerous.:cross:

The sealant used is called fernox and claims to be food safe and stable above the boiling point of water.

Looking on the Internet Fernox sealer specifically Fernox F4 is for repairing leaks in heating system boilers and radiators. I think I would get a replacement boil pot

Looking on the Internet Fernox sealer specifically Fernox F4 is for repairing leaks in heating system boilers and radiators. I think I would get a replacement boil pot

Don't worry. I am ditching my old one and will be drilling up a new plastic bucket shortly.

Back