Time Capsule Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrbaugh

Reaction score
I will soon be moving to another region of the country, and I have always wanted to make a time capsule. Why not combine the two? My grandparents live about an hour away and have a house that is partially/mostly underground. I plan on making a concrete sealed time capsule and putting a few items inside for 25-30 years.

My question is two fold: First, any recipe suggestions for a show mead that will really benefit for this long type of aging? Something really nice. Second, what kind of container and closure would be best? I was thinking a wine bottle with a synthetic cork sealed in heavy wax. I want to store away two bottles, one just a still mead and the other exactly the same but with a single oak cube from some nice oak trees on the property.

Cool project!

I think a sack strength traditional sweet mead would certainly be a good candidate for a project like this. The Polish style meads could be excellent.

A synthetic cork with a wax seal should last. A crown cap (with or without a wax seal) may also be an alternative to consider.

Medsen

I really don't have to worry about temperature swings. My grandparents have a house that is underground and in the corner of the storage area this will be at stays slightly cool, but at a fairly constant temp (approx. 65 degrees). The best shape to store in this area would be a cube or rectangular prism, so I was thinking a metal frame with the wine bottles inside and also inside a cardboard packaging insert. Cover the whole thing in concrete. It will not be connected to the floor. My family members will live there for at least a decade, but I am pretty sure they will move eventually leaving it for whoever lives there next. I was also planning on storing a few other items inside.

Back