malt substitution chart?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
As homebrewers, we have all sorts of info about which hops are potential good substitutes for others, but is there something like this for various specialty malts? Quite frankly, I'm confused about Biscuit vs. Victory vs. Aromatic vs. Caraamber vs Special B vs....

Is there a handy-dandy chart out there somewhere that be used as a guide when trying to sub out a malt? I understand that no sub is likely to be a perfect replacement, but sometimes I can't get a hold of something and would like to get a substitute that will get me as close as possible.

I have one of Randy Mosher's books that has some charts/graphs indicating where the malts fall in the lovibond range. It doesn't flat out say you can sub this for that but you can see what other malts fall next to it.

If I can remember to pull the book I'll look at it again, it's been sometime since thumbing through that section.

Victory and Biscuit are the same. (Victory is just one master's proprietary term.) I believe that aromatic is just more highly kilned Munich.

Thanks samc, but that's not quite what I had in mind - that chart only includes the base malts and basic specialty malts. I was hoping there would be something that went beyond that info.

I have one of Randy Mosher's books that has some charts/graphs indicating where the malts fall in the lovibond range. It doesn't flat out say you can sub this for that but you can see what other malts fall next to it.

Also thanks, but not quite it either. Getting the correct color is only part of it. It's really the flavor profile comparison I am looking for.

Guess I'll keep looking

Exactly what I was hunting for! I do see one correction...crystal 10's wyermann equivalent is carahell according to KotMF. Thank you for sharing this!

i made a very simple chart to help me convert recipies using weyermann malts. it is based on ktmf chart and info from weyermann.

please have a look and give some constructive critic
http://obak.info/misc/malt.pdf

This looks really nice. Not sure how I missed your reply when you posted it, but I'm glad I found it now. THanks.

Once quick thing I noticed though - Weyermann's smoked malt is not the same as peated malt. The smoked malt (aka rauchmalt) is smoked over beechwood and is the traditional ingredient in rauchbier. Peated malt is smoked over peat and is VERY strong and is a traditional ingredient in scotch whiskey - it is VERY different from Weyermann's rauchmalt.

Very good information. I wish I would have known these before buying grains for different recipes. I have duplicates of several types.

I couldn't either, but denimglen's had some good information. I'd like to see a few more experienced vets like yourself come in and give some advice on accuracy. All the "caras" are confusing to know what you can use.

Back