Rescue operation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grahambo

Reaction score
ok, so it would seem my old man brewed some mead about ~3 years ago that he never racked to a secondary. I thieved some out and it seems fine but i'm curious as to the best course of action. I was thinking either
a)rack it to a keg and just let it sit for awhile
b)rack to 2nd and repitch it
c)rack it to 2nd and repitch + some blueberries I happen to have on the bushes.

or something else? seems like the mead is just a regular old sweet mead, there's not really acrid taste to it but there is a semi scary inch thick layer of goo at the bottom. Smells fine........

So it smells fine, tastes fine and was sitting clearing and aging 3 years...and you want to do anything other than bottle and drink the crap out of it???

Personally, I'd rack to secondary and give it a chance to drop out any lees that were picked up in the racking process then bottle and enjoy!

That's kind of what i was thinking would be best, it's not the best mead I've ever had but it's far from awful.

Check the SG to make sure it fermented out. I'm sure it did. I can't see something being stuck that long, and if it had higher sugar and lower alcohol content, I'd think it would have started growing something scary by now.

If it's done, you can do anything you want with it. If it's a big batch, you can even split it and do some with berries and some without.

Latest posts

Back