Cheap Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmp138

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea on where to get bottles on the cheap. I've got 10 gallons going into bottles tommorrow and I just figured there might be a better way than paying 14 dollars a case at the lhbs. I don't care if they're clean or not, I'm just looking for a good deal. Do distributors sell bottles?

I would just make a pass around to a local bar or two. There is a very good chance, especially now after New Years that they will be swimming in bottles that they will probably let you have for next to nothing.

I tried asking local bars for bottles. Not a single one were cooperative. However, I know many people have had luck. I'd do as bull8042 suggests. It can't hurt to ask them.

Please note that I've read horror stories of how bad the cleanup of some bottles from bars can be. So if you do go that route be forewarned that you might be in for quite a interesting time scrubbing out those bar obtained bottles.

Don't know about where you are at, but the local beer store here has a beer (can't recall the name) that sells for $1.15 a bottle and comes in amber swingtop bottles. Cheap as hell and you get to drink more beer out of it.

I have had luck going to the local bottle return center. They don't even charge me the deposit, but I do throw them a couple of bucks, and a couple of brews for their time. I gave them my cell for when they get swing-tops. Has worked out very well so far...just be sure to clean very well.

I have a slowly growing collection of Grolsch swing tops.
I can buy Grolsch at the store for $2 with beer. The only problem is that I'm not a big fan of drinking Grolsch beer. Oh well, it could be much worse I guess ;)

I also have some cheap PET pop bottles that I can use whenever I run out of Grolsch bottles. Ultimately the plan is to acquire enough swing tops so that I never have to use the PET bottles.

PET bottles might be a good short term solution for you until you do find appropriate bottles. Just grab some 1L or 2L pop bottles from your friends.

I have a slowly growing collection of Grolsch swing tops.
I can buy Grolsch at the store for $2 with beer. The only problem is that I'm not a big fan of drinking Grolsch beer. Oh well, it could be much worse I guess ;)

I also have some cheap PET pop bottles that I can use whenever I run out of Grolsch bottles. Ultimately the plan is to acquire enough swing tops so that I never have to use the PET bottles.

PET bottles might be a good short term solution for you until you do find appropriate bottles. Just grab some 1L or 2L pop bottles from your friends.

I your case I would keep an eye on the local classified site like kijiji and usedottawa. I bought a bunch of stuff off those sites including 110 Grolsch bottles for dirt cheap.
Oh and don't get me started on the carboys and supplies I got off those sites.

Wait, I shouldn't be sharing these tips.....
Just kidding.
:mug:

I just scavenge the recycling bins in the alleys in my neighborhood. I can easily get 3-4 cases within a 12 block radius on a typical Sunday night including about 10-12 22oz. bottles. If the bin looks funky or has an off smell I just pass on them...

I your case I would keep an eye on the local classified site like kijiji and usedottawa. I bought a bunch of stuff off those sites including 110 Grolsch bottles for dirt cheap.
Oh and don't get me started on the carboys and supplies I got off those sites.

Wait, I shouldn't be sharing these tips.....
Just kidding.
:mug:

Thanks for the tip Shaun! Cheers!:mug:

dumpster dive. i hauled 200+ bottles in a couple weekends.I keep a remote grabber arm some gloves and a plastic bin in the back. i grab beer boxes and dividers if they are available.

If you need 10 gallons worth by tomorrow, your best bet is to hit a local recycling place and see if you can score some empties, even empty plastic pop bottles will work.

After that, hit up your local liquor store and find the cheapest pry off bottles they have. I've been buying up the Michelob Pale Ale for 5 bucks a 6 pack. Plus they come with free beer that doesn't taste that bad.

dumpster dive. i hauled 200+ bottles in a couple weekends.I keep a remote grabber arm some gloves and a plastic bin in the back. i grab beer boxes and dividers if they are available.

I was just reading through the responses to this post hoping to see this answer... It would have been my first response as well. Most bars in my area have recycle bins or dumpsters outside. I have been to several in the past to collect bottles that I can re-use. I go into the restaurant or bar and ask for the manager. I just tell them what I'm doing (home brewer looking for bottles to put beer in) and they let me have all I want.

It does take a little extra effort sometimes to clean these bottles out, but they are free :)

I love the swingtops but cannot stand Grolsch, so what I do is whenever a friend is over, i force them to drink a Grolsch (and give me the bottle) before they can have one of my homebrews. I also force myself to follow the same rule. Requires dedication and determination to drink that crap...:cross:

I love the swingtops but cannot stand Grolsch, so what I do is whenever a friend is over, i force them to drink a Grolsch (and give me the bottle) before they can have one of my homebrews. I also force myself to follow the same rule. Requires dedication and determination to drink that crap...:cross:

HA! Dude, you are just so wrong! But since you follow the same rule, then I guess it is acceptable. Of course, if it were me, I would fill a couple of Grolsch bottles with a good brew but leave the labels intact. You give your buddies the real Grolsch, while you suffer along with them secretly sipping your own suds.
Dang, I guess I am worse than you! :mug:

Early Sunday mornings are good for low traffic (ie, fewer people out wandering about). Gloves+bin+grabber = as many bottles as you want.

One of my favorite places was a Japanese restaurant where they had great 16oz bottles. Sapporo, I think. Just tons of them in the dumpster sunday morning after a sushifest on Saturday night.

I ask people at work to save them for me. The first time I got two cases of twist-offs. ouch. But it works. I like the idea of raiding the recycling but I think I need to do it a few blocks away from home so the neighbors don't see.

I get mine from a local party store. They sell them to me for ten cents each which is the deposit here in Michigan. They have every style bottle imaginable, including swing tops.

Tom

Perhaps I'm lazy. I have a local return center , he sets all his pop top bottles aside for me , on thursday morning I stop in and get 200 - 300 , bottles for a dime apiece. No work really, just loading and unloading the car. If I don't get there thursday morning, if I don't need any that wek, then he ships them out as per normal. He actually stole my business from the other recycler in town who wouldn't even call me back . This is customer service, and I am getting him interested in brewing some of his own. Anyway I made a new friend, got my cheap bottles, and don't have to work alot. This may not work so well in states were you don't pay the deposit when you buy your beverage. I don't know about shipping but If I build up a good reserve I would be happy to help you all out. I check on shipping rates.

Scott

I was at a LHBS yesterday to get some bottles and when I told the lady at the counter that I needed 2 cases of 12 oz bottles, she asked "new or used".... I didn't know they sold used bottles there, but at $4.50 a case vs $14.50 I jumped on them... They were just Sam Adams and other similar craft brew bottles that someone at the store probably saved and/or they purchased for cheap from a local bar. So ask your LHBS if they sell used bottles, perhaps you might get lucky.

Maybe put a "wanted" add in the classifieds section of this forum. I'm sure a bunch of people have switched to kegging and just have tons of bottles sitting around that they are too lazy to get rid of.

I don't brew too much, but I am always asking friends and family for bottles, so much that they sort of make fun of me for it. I also cry a little when I take some homebrew to a party of something, knowing I won't be able to get the bottles back without looking like an idiot.

Back