Yeast washing question w/photo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
I read the WONDERFUL thread about yeast washing

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/

and have my first batch - my question is when I go to use my batch I toss out the liquid on top and I WANT that middle layer.

Just what are those layers anyway - what do they consist of.

DSC_0129.JPG

I'm still pondering how to ask a question without the use of a questions mark.

Or at least the :confused: guy.

The suspended yeast will compact down into the line there above the trub, leaving beer on top.

P.S. Why not just post to the original yeast washing thread?

Because it would get lost in the clutter and because sometimes threads get to large and tend to drift to other topics AND there are questions from 2 weeks ago that were never answered.

People get bored with large threads and no longer read them.

I'm still pondering how to ask a question without the use of a questions mark.

I do it because I know it ticks off anal spell checkers :)

MAN - you guys are passive attacking me today!

People get bored with large threads and no longer read them.

I respectfully disagree. There are some on-topic threads of epic proportion (like hundreds of pages) here. But c'est la vie!

HOPEFULLY I'm in a better mood today! They better not raise gas prices on me or SOMEBODY is going to get it.

HOPEFULLY I'm in a better mood today! They better not raise gas prices on me or SOMEBODY is going to get it.

ok, then how about I criticize your yeast washing? :D

Not really a criticism, but you still have too much trub in your washed yeast. It's fine, and won't harm the yeast if you're using it fairly soon. But the goal of washing the yeast it to have almost NO trub in it. To keep mixing up the water and yeast and dumping the trub until you have only clean white yeast left.

Mine is all in green grolsch bottles, so it's hard to see, but I just took this picture:
DSCF0496.JPG

That's some yeast from February, so it's probably time to clean out my yeast supply. Anyway, it's all clean yeast, no trub. You can wash it several times during the washing process to get rid of more trub.

BTW, I love it that you are a guy that can take some **** and be pretty good natured. That's awesome. I'm a fan of yours, Grinder.

Back