Fridge Floor for Sanke Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juse

Reaction score
Has anyone here made a wooden floor for a sanke keg in a regular fridge, one with the freezer on top? My new free CL fridge has a nice hump in the back & needs a floor added for my sanke to fit. I'm curious about drilling & screwing/bolting into the plastic and the stability factor. I'm assuming I can make a 2-legged table and just screw it into the plastic shroud, but I'd hate for that thing to break loose on me. I guess I should screw through the metal sides of the fridge to anchor everything, but don't know what would be the best way to go about all of it. I'd hate to ruin this fridge.

I looked through stickies and did a search, but found nothing, so please forgive me if this has already been discussed ad nauseum.

TIA - Any advice is appreciated.

dude I just made a half shelf out of ply wood back edge sits on the hump and the frount I used 2x4 attached by screwing from top of ply wood into 2x4 the weight of the kegs keep it from moving. reason for the half shelf is im able to put 4 kegs it the fridge but you could do a full shelf i supose. If I make no scence I'll try and post pics.

My refrigerator has the hump, and has rails for a shelf just above it. I just used a piece of 3/4" MDF as a shelf and it holds 2 cornies and a CO2 bottle with no issues. For the sanke, you might add some legs in the front to reach the bottom and some sort of support in the rear, but I'd definately not recommend drilling in the refrigerator or screwing to anything.

...I'd definately not recommend drilling in the refrigerator or screwing to anything.

Is that because of the possibility of cracking the plastic? I'm probably going to drill holes for the faucet(s) anyway.

No, the main reason for not drilling into the fridge is you could cut into a coolant line. That would be A Bad Thing. Most modern fridges have all the coolant lines in the back, but some have some imbedded in the sides as well. Also, if you're drilling into that hump, guarantee you'll hit some kind of mechanism just under the plastic hump.

Drilling through the door is always fine. It's just a door.

i'm in the process of doing the same thing, though for a 3 tap corny keg set up, not sanke. i'm not sure exactly how i'm going to execute the creation of the shelf, but screwing into the fridge interior is not recommended. the reason for the hump in the bottom is that is the location of the compressor, an area you don't really want to mess with.

since mine is a dedicated keg fridge, i'm leaning towards a durable, permanent set up. i'm thinking i wont use a wood shelf and will be anchoring my shelf support (shelf will be removable) and for that i'll likely use an epoxy. i need to take a trip to hd or lowes and "wander" and let the ideas come to me on exactly how i execute all of this.

in response to my post above, i was apparently out of my mind in thinking of doing a nice floor, the materials i was thinking of using would cost be in excess of $60, if i make it out of wood aka 2x4's, less than $10.

frugal FTW!

I just made a simple two legged shelf as stated above and rest the back on the hump. This has then allowed for room under the shelf to keep bootled beer below. I have room then for four corney kegs and a 10 pound CO2 tank on the shelf. I would think that if it holds my 20 gallons and 10 pound tank yours would hold your 15.5 gallons.

I just made a simple two legged shelf as stated above and rest the back on the hump. This has then allowed for room under the shelf to keep bootled beer below. I have room then for four corney kegs and a 10 pound CO2 tank on the shelf. I would think that if it holds my 20 gallons and 10 pound tank yours would hold your 15.5 gallons.

Cool. So you didn't anchor it in any way? I suppose the weight keeps it in place. Thanks.

My buddy just made a small shelf out of scrap wood.

IMG_0832_08182008134502.jpg

He would have drilled a hole and mounted the faucet through the door but he is selling the home and the fridge is staying with. He will be buying a bigger one after the move.

My buddy just made a small shelf out of scrap wood.

IMG_0832_08182008134502.jpg

He would have drilled a hole and mounted the faucet through the door but he is selling the home and the fridge is staying with. He will be buying a bigger one after the move.

That's a pretty good alternative until he's moved. lose some heat, but cold beer

He asked me a few months ago to look for a commercial keg setup for him. I found the keg coupler, 20lb CO2 tank, regulator and the faucet for $55 on CL!

Rebuilt the faucet with new O-rings, disassebled, cleaned and lubed the coupler, bought a new gauge for the regulator and purchased new air and bev lines. Good to go! :ban:

I just made a plywood floor with two 2x4 screwed/joined together in the front. Made with whatever scraps I had in the garage. Works great, it's been in use over 2 years and now has 4 corneys and the CO2 inside it:

DSC02039.JPG
DSC02040.JPG

In my old kegerator, not used to carb and condition kegs that are "on deck", I cut two small 2x4's and nailed them to a piece of scrap plywood and used the hump as the legs on the back. It worked great for 3 years in college with 1/2 barrels, 4 years post college with 1/4 barrels, and for almost a year holding 3-4 cornies.

n1246371693_30083998_6645.jpg

I did much like ollllo, except that I lowered the front shelf for easier access. With mine I can fit 5 cornies and a bottle, or 6 cornies if I move the gas outside.

shelf.JPG

Back