Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carste

Reaction score
Everyone says to store your cider in a dark place but no one gives an explaination as to why. I have my cider in my kitchen where I can keep an eye on it, is that bad ?

Sunlight is bad, it will produce off flavors.
It can even heat the juice making more off flavors from increased fermenting temps.
You can leave in kitchen, just throw towel over it.

Pommeau said:
Sunlight is bad, it will produce off flavors.
It can even heat the juice making more off flavors from increased fermenting temps.
You can leave in kitchen, just throw towel over it.

I think the question is how will it produce off flavors. Beer skunks because hops react to light. Cider gets off flavors because...?

Uv radiation can have an effect in wines, I would guess cider too? From what I read, they guess it has something to do with a sulfide compound... obviously it's not gonna skunk as bad or as quick as beer, but it's a good policy to leave in dark as much as possible.

I would worry more about the expanding/contracting of the cider as it heats and cools due to sunlight than the actual light itself. As stated, there are no hop oils to "skunk" in cider.

UV light has been an enemy of wines for a long time because it has a tendency to break down the color compounds of the wine.

Back