How much dry yeast to pitch for 1g batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewclearAssault

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of 1 gallon batches lately and have been getting great results with the dry yeast I've been using. I've been pitching 1/2 a packet of it for every batch and the fermentation has been very vigorous. Last batch I pitched 1/3 of a pack and it worked just as well.

Today, I pitched 1 1/2 teaspoons into a 1gallon batch in an attempt to try to standardize my pitch rate a little more. Now I'm starting to second guess myself and thinking I should go back and add more.

Is there is a recommended amount of dry yeast in teaspoons to pitch for a 1 gallon batch of beer?

You should really use a pitch calculator and a scale, there are some super cheap scales out there to help you. Also, it is going to depend on your OG how much you should actually pitch.

That being said, most 1 gallon brews tend to need 3-5 grams depending on the size of the beer. So 1/3 to half is acceptable but not the best for getting a correct fermentation going

Ah thanks guys, much obliged :)

So I woke up to a surprise this morning- the pressure from the yeasts fermentation had blown my rubber stopper & blow-off tube off the fermenter. While I was re-sanitizing everything and cleaning off all the yeast residue that had climbed down the outside of the fermenter, my only thought was "Well... pretty sure I pitched enough then, I guess that answers that." But its nice to have a more accurate answer from you guys, just the same- I'll be using Mr. Malty from now on!

After having my stopper and blow off tube blown out 2 times on my 1 gallon batches, I started duct taping down the stopper.

Oh no! Haha I guess its bound to happen sometimes. How'd the beer turn out?

Duct tape was my first thought too, sadly I had none on hand. I ended up just rigging a rubber band around the rubber stopper and the handle of the jug with a pen through it, like a sling shot... a practice which I will be adopting for every 1 gallon brew from now on :D

Both turned out fine. So much stuff was coming out that nothing could get in to cause an infection.

Latest posts

Back