NCAA Bracket Challenge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtB

I may be drunk, but I'm not sure.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I did not see a challenge already set up, and with the brackets being announced in about 30 minutes I figured I would start a group over at ESPN and see if there was any interest here. No prizes, strictly braging rights. If the people involved wanted to send some home home brew to the winner, and that isn't against there rules here, I don't have a problem with that as a prize either.

Info to get in the group:
http://games.espn.go.com/tournament...group?groupID=52927&ex_cid=tcmen-invite-email

On mobile:
http://games.espn.go.com/tournament...group?groupID=52927&ex_cid=tcmen-invite-email

Group: HomeBrewTalk
Password: beer

Edit: The limit is set so that you can enter two different brackets per username, so feel free to pick some upsets just to make it interesting.

The play in games (sorry, "first four") are today and tomorrow. Time is running out to get your picks done. Only a couple days left.

Anybody but Duke or Syracuse, PLEASE!

I'm in as well. I'm also historically terrible at these, but as long as Duke doesn't win I'll be fine.

Just got in about 5 minutes before the first tip! First year I've done a 'sheet of integrity' in my three polls. I also watched less college bball this year than ever… I have very little idea of what teams I like and who I don’t.

I figure I cant do much worse than I normally do!

Never too early to talk trash. Go ASU! Oh wait... you're in the NIT, so sorry.

It's not too early to talk trash..Bring it. Here in Louisville, KY trash talk is a year round sport!

Last year, the big question was: Will anyone beat Kentucky? This year I think there are two questions: Is Gonzaga worth the hype? I say no, pointing to a home loss from Illinois, a middling BIG 10 team. But they have an easy trip this year.

The other question: Is the BIG 10 really dominant? No team will win anything noteworthy in this tournament without someone knocking out the BIG 10 teams. We will find out soon enough.

kh54s10 said:
I could totally care less about basketball. Give them some pads and allow checking!

The NCAA hockey selection show is Sunday. I also prefer hockey over basketball except for this time of year.

Wetfoot said:
It's not too early to talk trash..Bring it. Here in Louisville, KY trash talk is a year round sport!

Last year, the big question was: Will anyone beat Kentucky? This year I think there are two questions: Is Gonzaga worth the hype? I say no, pointing to a home loss from Illinois, a middling BIG 10 team. But they have an easy trip this year.

The other question: Is the BIG 10 really dominant? No team will win anything noteworthy in this tournament without someone knocking out the BIG 10 teams. We will find out soon enough.

Gonzaga is not worth the hype.
Yes the Big 10 is dominant.

No, a Big 10 school will probably not win it all (but Indiana and Ohio do have a good chance).

Gonzaga is not worth the hype.
Yes the Big 10 is dominant.

No, a Big 10 school will probably not win it all (but Indiana and Ohio do have a good chance).

Indiana bounced around the top spot this year showing they can be beaten.

As much as I don't like it, OSU is looking tough as of lately.

atimmerman88 said:
Indiana bounced around the top spot this year showing they can be beaten.

As much as I don't like it, OSU is looking tough as of lately.

I agree. Really any of the top 2 seeds in each region could win the tournament, and some of the 3seeds could as well (Florida). One game in and my bracket is still ok, but bucknell better wake up soon.

Big 10 isn't really dominant in my opinion, but I suppose we'll see. I think any team can pretty much lose to any team this year. There is not really any outstanding team.

Gonzaga is overrated. They need to join the Pac-12 or something. Get out of that "whack" conference.

Just took a look at the champions you all picked. Lots of folks thinking Gonzaga will win it all. I'm pretty surprised by that. Any reason from anyone that did so other than that they were #1 heading into the tourney?

Damn you Bucknell....

+1 they were a sweet 16 in one of my brackets...unfortunately, in the bracket that has Buttler winning, there are a few other longshot picks. Only time will tell.

Just took a look at the champions you all picked. Lots of folks thinking Gonzaga will win it all. I'm pretty surprised by that. Any reason from anyone that did so other than that they were #1 heading into the tourney?

In the bracket that I picked Gonzaga to win, the choice was strictly because they should have an easy run to the 8, and I picked NM to upset Ohio in the 16, so that lead to a Gonzaga/NM matchup to put them into the final four. I think Gonzaga can hold their own against Louisville, and they match up well with the 1 & 2 seeds on the other side of the bracket.

I wanted to pick Gonzaga, but to win it they would have to get through Louisville and Indiana. I don't think there is a team out there that can do that.

linharvard.jpg

Good for Harvard. Not good for my bracket(s).

Said everyone everywhere. Did anyone actually pick harvard?

Nobody that did not actually attend Harvard, and even those people are smart enough not to have picked them to win. Oh well.

It looks like it was a good first day for the group. Not many fatal upsets, and it appears that most of the brackets are in good shape, except maybe philipcrose's. Sorry for your loss, man. It isn't over yet. Have a beer or two this weekend, it will help ease the pain of loosing your National Chanpion pick on the first day of the tournament. :tank:

If the PAC-12 gets respect now, they took from the Mountain West. Alford gets a big contract extension and loses to Harvard??

Back