Help make this Doppelbock special

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewday365

Reaction score
I know that the recipe is in BJCP guidelines, but what can I do to make this special. Basically, what flavor is a "must have" for you in a Doppel and how would you get it? For example, your Doppel might absolutely need raison/fig notes so Special B to the tune of 1.5 lbs.

1.073 OG -- 1.018 FG -- 24 SRMS/24 IBUS
% LB OZ
62% 9 8 Weyermann Munich Type I

30% 4 8 Weyermann Munich Type II

5% ~ 12 weyermann CaraWheat

3% ~ 8 Briess Chocolate 350 L

First Wort - 90 minute 2 oz. Hallertau
Flavor -- 20 minute 1.5 oz Hallertau

Wyeast 2124

Special B is fantastic stuff. I use it @ 10% often. Your recipe looks great as is, but with the Special B it will probably be phenomenal! Enjoy!:mug:

Thanks for the confirmation. I used the Special B as an example because of a bottle of Maximator that I recently enjoyed. I've seen very few "extreme" doppelbocks that keep a relatively low OG, so I am hoping to see some more thoughts.

Not *exactly* a flavor, but melanoiden. Either use melanoiden malt or aromatic if you cannot get the former. For a 5 gallon doppelbock maybe .5-.75 lbs.

Maybe even a pound would be OK, although I'd want to keep it somewhat balanced if you've got a bunch of crystal in there, or your FG will be way too high even if you mash at 145F.

Another way to develop that same flavor is to take about a gallon of your wort, and while you're heating up your kettle to boil, in a separate pot/burner, boil that gallon down until it's a quart or less. That will give you some killer malty melanoiden goodness.

Yeah, I've tried my hand at some psuedo decoctions. I was even contemplating a single decoction for this recipe. That would surely enhance the caramel/butterscotch elements.

Back