Priming mistake, too much sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not a beginner, but I made a rookie mistake forgetting to convert from L's to gallons...

I ended up putting 10.5 oz of cane sugar into 5.2 gallons of IPA. Now the question, what to do:

a. Uncap (but leave caps resting on) and left ferment out for 5-6 days?

b. Return beer to fermenter and re-bottle after 5-6 days?

Thanks.

If I were you, I would try them every day until you feel that they're almost carbed up correcly. Then, throw them in a fridge as close to 32 as possible and hold them there until you drink your sweet beer. It won't be what you tried to make, but the only other option is to have bottle bombs. If you uncap them or pour them back into a fermenter, you almost gaurantee oxidation which will ruin the flavor and leave them tasting like wet cardboard. Good luck.

I just found the idea of placing a sanitized balloon on each bottle, with pin holes to release pressure. This would minimize oxidation, allow for me to roughly see how active the yeast is, and then recap after a week or so (when activity is slowing down considerably). Then I can just let them wait out another 3 weeks till carbonation is certainly complete, no? Perhaps they will be a bit flat, perhaps they will be overcarbonated for style, but I won't have bottle bombs, or over-oxidized beer, right?

that's one way of handling it, but it will require a lot of fridge space.

personally i like option A. no way of knowing if 5 or 6 days is the right amount of time but sounds like a decent guess.

scratch that...thinking about it more, I'll just cover it like I do my yeast starters: sanitized saran wrap and rubber bands.

Back