First time using DME as primer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geim32

Reaction score
This is my first time using DME as a primer. I let my bottles sit for 3 weeks plus 1 week in the fridge but beer is still flat. Does DME take longer to carbonate? Thanks for the help.

YES...DME definately takes longer....you will need to let them sit in room temperature longer....any beers you had in fridge you will want to let warm...then turn upside down to kinda re-suspend yeast, and turn the, back upright of course

Honestly I am not sure how much longer as I have never used DME for priming.....I just know from readin git will take longer.

Also, you need to use more DME to carbonate to get same volume of CO2.....for example instead of 3/4 cup corn sugar.....you would need 1.25 cup DME.....

Did you use more DME compared to corn sugar?

I am sure someone else can answer this.....but I would say give it another week....then stick one in the fridge for a day and try it to see if it is any better.

Not in my opinion......but I really wouldnt know as I have not used DME for carbonating. Some people are "purists" and want to use DME just like the recipe....but I do not know how it would matter tastewise......

Yeast needs Oxygen or equivelent nutrients to metabolize DME.....
Yeast does not need oxygen to metabolize corn sugar (dextrose)

AND of course your beer should have no oxygen in it when you bottle as the yeast used it all up during fermentation

Yeast will metabolize DME without oxygen but it needs equivelent nutrients to do so...which takes longer for the nutrients to develop.....this is the reason for the longer time to carbonate with DME

I think a solution in the future......if you want to use DME....would be to add some dried yeast at bottling time because dried yeast has the nutrients required stored in it already.

DME takes longer as it is made up of more complex chains of sugar and always has some component of less ferment able malt. Corn sugar or plain dextrose is simple sugar and 100% ferment able.

Consider the time in the bottle as lost time. Gently rouse the sediment and place them in a room at least 70 and give them a few weeks. Brew another batch in the meantime:)

Back