Hop Filtration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutarecord

Reaction score
Hey guys just getting everything together for my first All Grain BIAB batch...

I'm using a 30 plate wort chiller and hop pellets. Obviously i dont want the trub going through my plate chiller and mucking up the whole process. My question is, will a hop spider (with a paint strainer bag) filter enough from the hop pellets to keep my plate chiller from clogging? Is the mesh on those bags fine enough to filter the fine gunk left behind by hop pellets?

Thanks guys!

Just got done building one I saw in an online forum. They used a PVC coupler for the center ring. A soon as I finished it dawned on me... PVC prob cannot hold up to boiling temps. Anyone used a PVC spider or know if Im going to melt this thing with it sitting on my kettle?

Just got done building one I saw in an online forum. They used a PVC coupler for the center ring. A soon as I finished it dawned on me... PVC prob cannot hold up to boiling temps. Anyone used a PVC spider or know if Im going to melt this thing with it sitting on my kettle?

I've seen many posts covering attempts to use PVC for spider collars, and they typically don't end well...

Cheers!

I've used a white pvc coupler and SS threaded rod for over 20 boils. It works great - no problem. The pvc sits above the boiling wort and does not see 212 F.

Make a hop spider they work great but if your worried about the PVC and the hot wort use a stainless steel garbage disposal flange there about $15 at lowes/HD. Also pick up some long threaded bolts or all thread in stainless as well as stainless nuts and a stainless hose clamp large enough to hold the stained on the flange. Here's a picture of mine:

image-2451437427.jpg

You might also when your really ready to filter out a lot of debris check out the brewers hardware turn filter.

Back