HELP! Alpha Acid question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaotic

Reaction score
It's brew day and I'm doing an AHS IPA extract kit. Anyway it includes TWO 1oz bags of cascade hops one at 4.2% and the other at 6.0%...1oz is supposed to go in 5 minutes before the end for aroma and another 0.5oz is supposed to go into the secondary (dry hopping) does it matter which one goes in??????

Aroma adds and dry hopping contribute very little/nothing to the bittering, so it doesn't matter. If it still bothers you, mix them first.

ok well just made a huge mistake, what happens if you add all the aroma hops (1oz) and the bittering hops at the very beginning of the boil???? :mad:

Well, it'll be about twice as bitter with no hops aroma to finish. You can buy some more hops, I guess, to dryhop with but the bitterness will remain.

Unless.......you cut your boil short and only boil the bittering hops for 35-45 minutes. If you post your whole recipe, I'll run it through beersmith for you and help you figure it out.

8lbs pale extract
1/4 lb malto dextrin

and this is what i did:
1oz nugget
1/2oz perle
1oz cascade

it was supposed to be:
1oz nugget 60 min
1/2oz perle 15 min
1oz cascade 5 min

please help?

could i just turn this into a double IPA????

Ok, well, the IBUs are ok for an IPA. Using Beersmith and the "default" AAUs I get 49.7 IBUs. (The original recipe would make 36.2 IBUs). So, not bad! But, you don't have any aroma hops at all in there or flavoring hops. Do you have more hops?

Edit- I see that you do. I'd add .5 oz cascade for 15 minutes and then .5 oz at flameout, and then buy more hops for dryhopping.

i just added the dry hops for the flavoring hops part...still do a 60 minute boil???

Well I cut it off at 45 minutes (didn't see your post in time YC). How will that affect it???

Sorry for all the newbie questions, but thank you for helping me out!

Back