Question for plumbers or the experts in fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunner65

Reaction score
I want to put 1/2 npt male threads onto my 3/8" CFCs copper tubing do I use 1/4" to 1/2" npt fittings as I used 1/4 to 1/2 reducers on the CFC itself? I cannot find this information anywhere though I am sure it is out there somewhere. I link to the actual product would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Joe but I should have made my question more clear as the compression type fitting are obvious on sizing it is the copper solder cup type that I am confused about.

Use 3/8" compression x 1/2" male NPT adapters. You can find these at Home Depot, Lowes or most any hardware store. Here's link to an online source: Compression x Mips Adapters scroll down the page a bit and you will see them under Compression X Mip Adapters.

The solder cup type should be the same. The only problem may be finding a direct 3/8" tube to 1/2" NPT adapter. You may need to solder a second adapter in there.

-Joe

Thanks Joe but I should have made my question more clear as the compression type fitting are obvious on sizing it is the copper solder cup type that I am confused about.

I think you are looking for a 3/8" sweat x 1/2" Male NPT adapter. These can be had, but are not as commonly available. Try a local plumbing supply house.

Thanks all

Joe a 1/4" reducer ID is 3/8" so in a typical CFC you run the 3/8" tubing through a 1/2 x 1/4 reducer. So I think Catt22 answered my question. It was very tough to actually put this question in writing so that all could understand what I am asking for. Thanks everyone.

its a tricky beast, the 3/8" tubing is refrigerator tubing and referring to the OD of the of the tubing. where as the 1/2x1/4 fitting is referring to the ID of the tubing. a 1/2x1/4 reducer will fit the 3/8 refrigerator tubing just fine. test fit in the store to make sure you get the right stuff.

-=Jason=-

Can you let me know what you did? I think I need to do the same thing. I need to adapt the 3/8" OD soft copper tubing (on both in and out side of the CFC) to a 1/2" NPT male quick disconnect for coupling to my female quick disconnect leading to my 1/2" ID silicone tubing.

Back