Off flavors showing up post kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duskb

Reaction score
As I add brews to my pipeline I'll need space in the kegerator for a new brew that needs to be carbed so I'll have to remove a "conditioned" brew to make room for the new guy to get his turn on the gas.

For over a year now I've been doing the set and forget method. My beers will sit in the mid 30's for a week or so at 10-12PSI before I move on. The thing is, (and I might just be crazy here), I'll swear the beer will taste great in the kegerator and once I move it to storage and connect it again later it starts to develop subtle off flavors which I'm having a hard time identifying.

I did some research and I've read that when going to storage it's not a bad idea to bleed off O2 with a fresh 30 PSI hit but I can't imagine that would make a difference if it's been on CO2 for a couple of weeks anyways. The only variable I can see that is out of my control then is temperature.

So, I'll ask, how important are stable temps to kegged beer for long term storage and what can happen if it fluctuates as much a 10 degrees over time?

How long do you let it sit after returning it to the kegerator? And does the off flavour stick around or disapate over time?

How long do you let it sit after returning it to the kegerator? And does the off flavour stick around or disapate over time?

Usually a month or so. I had one keg a way back that sat for over 8 months and it went back in just fine. Lately I have not been having that sort of luck.

I have not noticed the off flavors decreasing but not neccesarrily getting worse either. They just sort of "came on" and stuck around.

Again, it's pretty subtle but enough that I notice it, most others do not.

Should of been more informative as to what I was suggesting in my previous post; I was wondering if your were disturbing any yeast sediment when you put it back in, but a month should be plenty time for that to settle.

Should of been more informative as to what I was suggesting in my previous post; I was wondering if your were disturbing any yeast sediment when you put it back in, but a month should be plenty time for that to settle.

I imagine the sediment does get kicked up. Especially when I put it back in. I can tell since the beer is cloudy for a few days after moving it.

Back