Looking for sweet amber recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabanknight

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forums and was browsing the recipes. Me and my dad just finished our first lager and to my surprise quite successfully (and tasty).
For our next brew we wanted to make a sweet amber beer similar to Kilian's red or Michilob ultra amber. If anyone can point me towards a recipe I would be very great full.

I also wanted to make a creme stout for Christmas so I would also appreciate any good stout recipes you can provide.

Thanks in advance,
Brandon

Jamil's Red Rocket clone is a killer Amber but I don't think it's going to be anything like Killian's or Mic Ultra Amber. Both of those are Lagers and both are fairly thin compared to a good American Amber Ale.

JZ Amber - Extract - Red Rocket Clone

Austin Homebrew Supply has a clone kit of Killian's Irish Red that is supposed to be fairly close. I've not tried it, so YMMV. That kit is a lager.

Austin Homebrew Supply

I would be interested in a slightly dialed down version of this to brew for myself. I'm actually fond of Killians, and wouldnt mind something that uses a couple pounds less of DME than Jamils' recipe does..... and lands me in the 4.8% ABV neighborhood. I'm content with that, and so is my wallet.

How would I know how much to dial back the hops to be as balanced as the original recipe?

And would adding 1/2# CaraPils help with the body since I'm cutting back on fermentables? Or would that clash with the style?

Please don't judge. I try to keep my extract batches well under 40 bucks. I try to buy what's on special at my LHBS if it strikes me to save 15% off the top. Maybe when I smooth out my processes and am more confident I'll start brewing higher ABV (and more EXPENSIVE brews) like IPAs and such.

Back