I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if it's because the time is lunch thirty or because of those delicious looking chickens, but I'm getting hungry. I picked up some New York Strips the other day for a song. Just lit the grill.. good stuff coming.

There is a neighborhood store here, it's actually a chain, Best Buy Market. I don't load up a cart of groceries there because much of their stuff is just to expensive and can be bought for less at other places.

There are a few reasons I go there.. Nearly everyday. Customer service number one. If there are more than two people in line, they open a new register. Second reason, very convenient. Third reason: Again, very friendly customer service.

Lastly, they have their own butcher and I think because of that are able to cut their own meat and the prices are pretty dang good. Always fresh meat at great prices. The other day they had a New York Strip that must have been at least two feet long. You could buy it and cut your own. So, I'd say at least you'd get 15 1-1/2 inch steaks out of it. $32.00! Unbelievable deal. I passed on it though. If I was having party with many people wouldn't have hesitiated picking it up. Looking back, I should have just bought it and sliced up and then stored in the freezer.

Dan, you F'd up. We have a half hog and a half of beef we paid for already for this fall. Still have to pay for the butchering but we won't need grocery meat for a while...except chicken.

Now that's a FIRE! And an awesome photo of a fire.

Yeah, It was a huge bag of coal, since we're grilling a bunch of food. I thought it would make a good photo, so I grabbed my daughter and asked her to shoot it with her iphone. That thing actually takes pretty good pictures.

Dan, that sounds like one heck of a good deal on the New York strips!

Home Brew Talk, is about brewing beer. A fellowship of brewers. Please accept my sincere and humble apology for using this wonderful place, and this thread, to post my political opinions. I am truly sorry and will not ever do something so selfishly inconsiderate, ever again.

With great respect,

Dan

Dan said:
Home Brew Talk, is about brewing beer. A fellowship of brewers. Please accept my sincere and humble apology for using this wonderful place, and this thread, to post my political opinions. I am truly sorry and will not ever do something so selfishly inconsiderate, ever again.

With great respect,

Dan

Dan, I missed what you're apologizing for but I'm sure it isn't a big deal based on our chats in the past. I'm a Glenlivet fan myself and happen to a bottle of 21 year old archive that was given to me on my last birthday. If you ever find you're self in reno, I have a spare glass.

Cheers.

Dan, I missed what you're apologizing for but I'm sure it isn't a big deal based on our chats in the past. I'm a Glenlivet fan myself and happen to a bottle of 21 year old archive that was given to me on my last birthday. If you ever find you're self in reno, I have a spare glass.

Cheers.

I work for a company home based in Fallon. They keep bugging me to come out for some training. Fallon is not far from Reno. Might just take up my company's request and head out there for a few days. I'll definitely accept your offer when I get to town. :mug:

Alright, one more. This is one of my personal favorites.

I give you.........The Dog Song

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be grilling tomorrow. I think I should bottle my last batch of cider tonight. My string trimmer randomly stopped today and wouldn't restart. I'll give it another try later. It's probably just overheated.

I need to bottle my red rice wine too, but I don't really want to. It's still got a fair amount of sugar in it, so it really needs to be pasteurized. That's going to heat up my house.

I went ahead and bottled the red rice wine. It's been pasteurized now and is cooling on my kitchen counter. This whole process always makes me nervous. The bottles sit in the water, and then on the counter, for so long without corks. I've knocked over more then one bottle doing this...

DSC_0004.jpg

Well, back to the yard work......man that chicken looks good!!

It was by far the best chicken I ever made on the smoker. Sorry, I didn't get any pics before it was devoured. I basted a few times with olive oil and the skin was perfect! I hope I can remember what I did for next time.

I went ahead and bottled the red rice wine. It's been pasteurized now and is cooling on my kitchen counter. This whole process always makes me nervous. The bottles sit in the water, and then on the counter, for so long without corks. I've knocked over more then one bottle doing this...

Once I was pasteurizing an apple cider, and I had one bottle over carbed or a weak bottle or something. That sucker blew up, and sounded like a gun firing. I had the bottles in an aluminum pot with the lid on and a towel draped over the whole thing. I was in the back yard when I heard it, and I knew exactly what it was. I ran inside to find glass on the stove top and the lid over to one side. It was so strong it dented the thick aluminum lid pretty good. I've always been nervous of pasteurizing since then. Just for good measure I put a brick on the lid when I do it now.

Once I was pasteurizing an apple cider, and I had one bottle over carbed or a weak bottle or something. That sucker blew up, and sounded like a gun firing. I had the bottles in an aluminum pot with the lid on and a towel draped over the whole thing. I was in the back yard when I heard it, and I knew exactly what it was. I ran inside to find glass on the stove top and the lid over to one side. It was so strong it dented the thick aluminum lid pretty good. I've always been nervous of pasteurizing since then. Just for good measure I put a brick on the lid when I do it now.
Unfortunately, these are cork bottles that aren't rated for pressure. That means pasteurizing without the bottles being sealed. No possibility of bottle bombs, but if I knock one over I'm still out a bottle.

You also can't really cork them until they have cooled. The liquid expands and doesn't leave enough head room in the bottles for you to be able to force a cork into the neck of the bottle.

I do sit corks on the mouths of the bottles to help keep out stray airborne contaminants.

I've actually only ever broken one bottle pasteurizing. It was a 12 oz beer bottle, brand new bottle. When I looked closely at the glass shards it had a small bubble in the glass right where it appeared to have started fracturing.

Man do I hate losing finished brew.

Unfortunately, these are cork bottles that aren't rated for pressure. That means pasteurizing without the bottles being sealed. No possibility of bottle bombs, but if I knock one over I'm still out a bottle.

You also can't really cork them until they have cooled. The liquid expands and doesn't leave enough head room in the bottles for you to be able to force a cork into the neck of the bottle.

I do sit corks on the mouths of the bottles to help keep out stray airborne contaminants.

I've actually only ever broken one bottle pasteurizing. It was a 12 oz beer bottle, brand new bottle. When I looked closely at the glass shards it had a small bubble in the glass right where it appeared to have started fracturing.

Man do I hate losing finished brew.

could you cover them with foil?

could you cover them with foil?
Sure, but that wouldn't really help if the bottles get knocked over. I figure that since I'm going to shove a cork into the bottle, I won't introduce anything new by sitting one on the top of the bottle.

Having the bottles unsealed during pasteurization isn't really a problem. The liquid inside is so hot that it is going to kill anything that drops into it anyway. It's only afterward while they are cooling that having it open is a potential issue.

I pasteurize to 160f for 10 minutes. That's high enough to kill pretty much any nasty that could be in my wine, and cool enough that I shouldn't lose a huge amount of alcohol doing it.

I've finally got my pipeline established and I have been drinking my own homebrew all weekend, and it is *fabulous*. It just makes me happy on so many levels that I can make good beer. When I brew it is almost like I am making a care package for myself that I receive a few weeks later. I met with a friend and swapped a sixer of my brews for a growler of his Scotch ale. It's really neat to craft something that you can share.

I'm so glad I got back into brewing. This hobby really fills a lot of needs in my life - not just as a source of good beer, but as an outlet for creativity, a focal point to look forward to good things ahead, a sharing connection with other friend who homebrew, new sensory experiences, and a reward for the virtue of patience.

I was coming off a series of life events that kinda left me a bit burned out and listless - I just got to the point where I felt all I did was pay bills and fix things around the house, and I really didn't have any vision or enthusiasm for anything else. Not really depressed, but life felt pretty stale. I need to keep going for experiences, because in the end that is what life is all about. Smell the roses, taste the malt, listen to the birds and see the sky.

Sure, but that wouldn't really help if the bottles get knocked over. I figure that since I'm going to shove a cork into the bottle, I won't introduce anything new by sitting one on the top of the bottle.

Having the bottles unsealed during pasteurization isn't really a problem. The liquid inside is so hot that it is going to kill anything that drops into it anyway. It's only afterward while they are cooling that having it open is a potential issue.

I pasteurize to 160f for 10 minutes. That's high enough to kill pretty much any nasty that could be in my wine, and cool enough that I shouldn't lose a huge amount of alcohol doing it.

Something like this might help?

Something like this might help?
Not a bad idea. I'd also thought of seeing if I could get a wire frame wine rack that would fit in my pot.

I'll have to think a bit on the mason jar ring thing. The rings aren't big enough to go around the middle of the bottles, but maybe holding them by the necks would be enough... hmm...

Just tasted some coffee wine I made last September. It was moderately horrible when I bottled it. It's very good now. Hmm, I'll put coffee wine on the list of occasional brews. Not something I'll be drinking everyday, but it's nice once in a while.

What is coffee wine?
Coffee, sugar, nutrients, and yeast pretty much.

I made a 2 quartish batch of the stuff as an experiment. I brewed 8 cups of coffee with 6 tbs of ground coffee. Fairly good dunkin donuts medium roast. Added sugar to 1.103. Then 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient, 1 1/2 tsp ground coffee, and 4 grams of distillers yeast. It fermented clear down to 0.998. It was taken off the coffee solids, back sweetened, and had a couple tsps of vanilla extract added about 10 days after pitch. It was already at FG.

As I understand it, you do have to be fairly careful with coffee solids in the presence of alcohol. They have a tendency to over extract and end up really bitter.

Coffee, sugar, nutrients, and yeast pretty much.

I made a 2 quartish batch of the stuff as an experiment. I brewed 8 cups of coffee with 6 tbs of ground coffee. Fairly good dunkin donuts medium roast. Added sugar to 1.103. Then 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient, 1 1/2 tsp ground coffee, and 4 grams of distillers yeast. It fermented clear down to 0.998. It was taken off the coffee solids, back sweetened, and had a couple tsps of vanilla extract added about 10 days after pitch. It was already at FG.

As I understand it, you do have to be fairly careful with coffee solids in the presence of alcohol. They have a tendency to over extract and end up really bitter.

Wow, 1.103 to .998. Caffeine and lots of booze. May have to make that.

Wow, 1.103 to .998. Caffeine and lots of booze. May have to make that.
It's interesting, but I usually drink at night so the caffeine part puts it off limits for me most of the time... That reminds me, I can have some kola nut ginger cider I made. :)

I'm now drinking the kola nut ginger cider..... Why did I make this again? It isn't any g..... oh that's right. Now feeling the ginger. I made it for winter drinking. It's nice and warming with a good pick me up in the caffeine. Perfect for those depressing winter days.

Not sure how many John Wayne fans out there. I'm watching "True Grit" right now. Not with John Wayne. The other one, newer one, Warren Beaty. No, that's not right.

Jeff Bridges! I think he does a superb job playing Rooster Cogburn.
A performance as good as the original, indeed!

Not sure how many John Wayne fans out there. I'm watching "True Grit" right now. Not with John Wayne. The other one, newer one, Warren Beaty. No, that's not right.

Jeff Bridges! I think he does a superb job playing Rooster Cogburn.
A performance as good as the original, indeed!
I agree. I like the new one better then the old one. The ending is better too. :D

I ran out of wine bottle half way through bottling my cider. I was thinking about doing some sparkling this time, so I did. Lots of 12 oz bottles of sparkling cider with pry top bottles.

For some reason, bottling cider or wine in beer bottles makes me feel like I should be on the red green show...

I made a cider type something today. Apple juice was on sale so I bought 5.5 gallons, added a 5 pound bag of sugar(added to boiling water), and ale yeast(re-used). It's fermenting away. Also brewed a 5 gallon batch of regular pale ale. The kids in Gainesville really put a hurting on my supply. That's already bubbling away too. Got grandpa's Prius from my sister and she can use my truck to get to work. So I can travel back and forth easier, and cheaper. It's a 3 hour drive between the farm and my son's apartment. My son will be helping me getting the website back on track. And I'm more motivated to work online when away from the farm. At home, with all the crops, the chickens, and all this other crap distracting me, hard to get on the computer and put the work in that is needed.

I forgot my happy brew day dance earlier, so will dance now.

:ban:

I made a cider type something today. Apple juice was on sale so I bought 5.5 gallons, added a 5 pound bag of sugar(added to boiling water), and ale yeast(re-used). It's fermenting away. Also brewed a 5 gallon batch of regular pale ale. The kids in Gainesville really put a hurting on my supply. That's already bubbling away too. Got grandpa's Prius from my sister and she can use my truck to get to work. So I can travel back and forth easier, and cheaper. It's a 3 hour drive between the farm and my son's apartment. My son will be helping me getting the website back on track. And I'm more motivated to work online when away from the farm. At home, with all the crops, the chickens, and all this other crap distracting me, hard to get on the computer and put the work in that is needed.

I forgot my happy brew day dance earlier, so will dance now.

:ban:
That should come out right around 1.092. Usually that kind of cider ferments dry, so it should end around 12.3%. Cider is good stuff, but a fortified cider like that is liable to punch you in the face with alcohol flavor and aroma when it's young. Let it age for 6-8 months and it should be very nice.

Oh, and don't be surprised if it smells like rhino farts in a couple days.

That should come out right around 1.092. Usually that kind of cider ferments dry, so it should end around 12.3%. Cider is good stuff, but a fortified cider like that is liable to punch you in the face with alcohol flavor and aroma when it's young. Let it age for 6-8 months and it should be very nice.

Oh, and don't be surprised if it smells like rhino farts in a couple days.

Hmm, I actually looked up how to make hard cider after I pitched the yeast. I wanted it to be something like wine in the 10-14% percent range but wasn't sure how high in ABV ale yeast is capable of. Was thinking of bottling and corking, uncarbonated, and mixing with sprite over ice to drink. As a summer drink. I didn't plan ahead for it, just saw the apple juice on sale, and thought I'd throw something together. I hope it doesn't take 6 months to taste good, but so be it if it does. Thanks for the head's up!

Hmm, I actually looked up how to make hard cider after I pitched the yeast. I wanted it to be something like wine in the 10-14% percent range but wasn't sure how high in ABV ale yeast is capable of. Was thinking of bottling and corking, uncarbonated, and mixing with sprite over ice to drink. As a summer drink. I didn't plan ahead for it, just saw the apple juice on sale, and thought I'd throw something together. I hope it doesn't take 6 months to taste good, but so be it if it does. Thanks for the head's up!
It isn't that it won't taste good. It will taste good as soon as the yeast drops out of suspension. It's just that it will taste a lot of alcohol. That is going to mask the apple flavor a great deal. After 6-8 months the alcohol flavor and aroma will have mellowed a lot and the apple flavor will be more apparent.

For a summer drink, mixing it with sprite should be good. Apple juice, or lemonade, would also be good choices.

If you want to bump the apple flavor, throw in about 10lbs of washed, quartered, and cored apples after about 2 weeks. Leave them in there for about 2 weeks, then scoop them out before you bottle. Tart apples like early season green apples, or granny smiths, are best for this but any apple will work.

You can still bake or make apple sauce/butter with the apples afterward, but they will have softened a little and lost some flavor.

EDIT: I wouldn't put the apples in unless you are using a fermenting bucket. They make a horrible mess, and it's hard to get that out of a carboy.

Back