Priming with maple syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjs

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new here and I'm a beginner home brewer. I am thinking about making a maple IPA and was gonna add some of the syrup to the end of the boil and some at bottling to take the place of the priming sugar. I'm doing a small 2.5 gallon batch first and if it works then step up to 5 gallons. How much syrup do you think I should use to prime with if I do go that route?

for what its worth I did a maple amber and bottle primed with syrup...way more trouble than it was worth. But I used the Northern Brewer's Website Priming Sugar Calculator to figure out the amount I needed.

I agree with bferullo. I've messed around with maple during the boil, during secondary and during bottling. I've never had more than a touch of maple flavor/aroma with any of it. I probably wouldn't even know it was in there if I didn't do it myself... Bottling is probably your best bet if you want to taste it. I think maple syrup is around 60% sugar? I would check the sugar content per serving of the syrup you have and calculate based on that vs. normal priming sugar.

Thanks for the info guys. I can't wait to start this batch. I just racked my molasses Oktoberfest to the secondary this weekend. That was my second batch ever and it came out of the primary really nice right at 8% which is kind of hot for an Oktoberfest but very nice flavor and aroma!

From what I have read in other threads maple syrup ferments completely out and rarely leaves a trace of flavor. Maple sugar also behaves in the same way. If you want that flavor you might try some type of extract, if you want some added residual sweetness you might try honey or belgian candy sugar.

Latest posts

Back